The Asia, Europe and Latin America Region for NRC comprises a diverse range of country programmes across a vast geographical area. Of four regions in Field Operations, the Asia, Europe and Latin America RO is based in Head Office covering: three sub-regions: Latin America, Afghanistan/Iran and South East Asia and a stand-alone programme: Ukraine. The operating environment is varied, encompassing a complex and multi-faceted set of humanitarian and recovery response needs in countries that are either fragile, environmentally vulnerable or both.
The Asia, Europe and Latin America Region is overseeing the Country Offices and its operations, and provides strategic guidance across core programme, advocacy and support functions. The Regional Programme Unit, led by the Regional Programme Director, supports with development of capacity in core competencies and cross-cutting themes, working collaboratively and in a matrix structure with the Regional Support Unit, Regional Advocacy, and the global Programme Development and Support Section in HO, and not least with Heads of Programme in Country Offices. The Regional Programme Unit also takes lead regionally on donor relations, monitoring and evaluation, and other specialist areas as assigned.
Duties and responsibilities
The Education Regional Advisor is the organisation’s regional expert within the core competence, working across the region, and with a matrix professional relationship to the core competency specialists in the Programme Development and Support Section.
- Technical Core Competency support
- Capacity development
- Technical Core Competency development
- Programme integration
- Learning and information sharing
- Networking and representation
- Resource mobilization
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Programme Policy compliance
- Policy and strategies: Contribute to the development of policies and strategies related to Education. Contribute to development of Programme Policy and related governing documents to reflect new needs and emerging humanitarian trends.
- Technical CC development: Contribute to the adaptation of NRC’s global Education programme approaches and the development of guidelines, tools and innovative approaches based on research of trends and the learning from the country offices. Responsible to the adaptation of these policies, tools and approaches at sub-regional and country level.
- Core competence pilots: Responsible for the identification of pilot projects for the further development of the Education core competency in the region. Contribute to the communication of results and the development of recommendations.
- Program development projects: Responsible for the management of program development projects that are relevant for the region, including the spending of earmarked funds and reporting requirements.
- Country office start-up: Contribute to the strategic positioning of NRC through an adequate and high quality Education programme response in the establishing phase of new country operations.
For a more detailed description of the role, access the full JD on the bottom of this advertisement.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant professional experience as a manager within the humanitarian field, including (ideally) experience of working as an adviser
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts, and ability to work independently in a result oriented, multi-cultural environment and manage conflicting priorities.
- High level of professional expertise in the core competence
- Experience in drafting and encouraging implementation of policy/strategic guidance, and developing practical tools and resources
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Able to represent organisation at a strategic level
- Fluency in English and Spanish, both written and verbal
- Experience in, and knowledge about the regional context is highly desirable
- All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
- A sense of humor is an asset.