Regional Finance Controller
Danish Refugee Council, Bujumbura, Burundi
Closing Date for Applications:
Overall purpose of the role
The purpose of the Regional Finance Controller position is to provide overall support on all Financial Matters within East Africa & Great lakes Region in close collaboration with the Regional Finance Manager. Initiate development of a constant improvement of financial and administrative systems, procedures, guidelines etc that can lead to more efficient financial management in line with DRC guidelines. Implement relevant training on financial matters for all relevant staff in the region.
- Review country offices (Countries in EAGL) projects/proposal budgets for accuracy, completeness and ensure RO and HQ contributions are provided for.
- Review Budget Follow up (BFU), Co-funding setup and Budget amendments in DRC Dynamics
- Review Countries Operational Master Budgets for accuracy, completeness and ensure gaps/surpluses are correctly addressed.
- Review Prognosis
Financial Compliance & Risk Management
- Conduct Financial & compliance, Desk and in-country reviews.
- Support internal and external audits
- Review Annual Performance Indicators (APIs)
- Review Risk registers & Issues Log reports
- Track high-risk audit/compliance items and incorporate into the Desk review reports.
- Review of donor reports for accuracy, compliance with donor requirements and timeliness
Bank management, Reconciliations & Closures
- Review completion of month end tasks by country programs.
- Ensure that Country offices have updated authorization, signature verifications, power of Attorneys and Bank mandates in place as per Operations Handbook.
- Follow up and monitor monthly reconciliation overviews of balance sheet items.
Trainings & Capacity Building of staff in the region
- Conduct Finance training for non-Finance Managers for the country programs.
- Capacity Building of Field Finance Staff on DRC Dynamics, financial procedures and proper supporting documentation for payments and ensure all DRC offices are following DRC, donor policies and accepted accounting principles.
Backfilling of other staff
- Back filling of Country programs during periods of gaps and backfilling for the other RFCs.
- This position reports to the Regional Finance Manager.
Experience and technical competencies
- Degree in Finance or Accounting and final certification in CPA or ACCA with at least 5 years work experience in finance or accounting in INGOs.
- Minimum 5 years’ relevant experience, preferably in an international NGO with at least 5 years work experience in finance or accounting.
- Excellent knowledge in preparing major international donor reports
- Knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics or other similar systems is an added advantage
- Possess strong analytical and conceptual skills
- Proven management skills
- Fluent in written and spoken French (essential)
- Fluent in written and spoken English (essential)