Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
About the Position
• We are looking for a Regional Finance Manager for ICRAF-West and Central Africa region to be based in the ICRAF-WCA Regional Office in Yaoundé, Cameroon.
• The selected candidate will be required to travel within the region to the country offices and occasional international travel.
• Administratively the position will report to the Regional Coordinator ICRAF-WCA, Functionally the position will report to the Deputy Director General Finance and Corporate Services (DDG-F&CS), based in Nairobi, Kenya.
• The incumbent will supervise financial staff at the WCA regional office and in West and Central Africa Nodal and Country offices.
Overall purpose of the job
• In liaison with Head of Finance and the Finance Officers at ICRAF HQ, the incumbent shall be: Responsible for establishing, and maintain strong internal controls and providing oversight and training to ensure that the financial management in the Regional, Nodal, and Country offices are robust and adhere to all ICRAF policies and procedures.
• He/She will: manage all financial information and databases for the ICRAF-WCA Region; provide supervision to Finance Officers of nodes and country offices in the region; provide practical recommendations and advice for improving operational efficiency in the region in particular and ICRAF processes in general; participate in proposals and project budget formulation, project financial monitoring and evaluation and reporting to project managers, HQ and donors.
Roles and responsibilities
• Within the overall Internal Control Frame work of ICRAF, design and implement procedures and processes to strengthen internal controls.
• Ensure the integrity of the financial information and the financial reports prepared in Regional, Nodal and Country Offices. Ensure compliance to ICRAF policies and laws of the host countries and safeguard the centre assets.
• In consultation with the Regional Coordinator and DDG-F & CS, establish, structures, reporting lines and appropriate authorities and responsibilities for the regional finance staff
• Evaluate and communicate internal control deficiencies in a timely manner to Regional Coordinator and the DDG-F & CS
• Manage and maintain the Agresso Business World (ABW) database, fixed assets database and the online financial statements.
• Manage the regions monthly closing and annual finalization process as per the ICRAF cut-off dates and ensure the timely submission of monthly reconciliations, fixed assets movements and trial balance.
• Monitor and prepare the ICRAF-WCA Regional annual budgets as per ICRAF POWB and manage budget updates as required.
• Support the development of project proposals and concept notes as per the ICRAF Full costing policy
• Preparation and analysis of grant financial reports as per the grant agreement and monitor the funding receipts supervise the finance team in the region and ensure smooth and accurate flow of data and information to and from ICRAF HQ and the nodes/Country Offices.
• Review and post all monthly project imprest reports received from the ICRAF-WCA nodes/country offices.
• Review and archive all documents received from the region’s node/country offices availing this upon request by donors, auditors and HQ.
• Administrate the Regions Project funds, monitor the nodes/country offices petty cash disbursements and perform surprise cash counts.
• Management of advances to Associate Institutions, Collaborators/partners and staff personal accounts as per ICRAF Policy.
• Maintain the suppliers cycle and procurement process for the region’s as per ICRAF policy
• Liaise and consult with the Financial Service Unit at ICRAF headquarters in Nairobi on all financial and budget related matters.
• Lead budget preparation process by providing instructions and guidance in the formulation of resource allocation in the region. Perform quarterly budget analysis and report to the Regional Coordinator on expenditure trends, projected budget overruns and recommend corrective measures where necessary.
• Maintain an accurate fixed asset register for the region.
• Train and build a high performance finance team in the ICRAF-WCA Region
• A professional accounting/business qualification equivalent to an MBA or CPA, CA, ACMA or ACCA or a graduate education with a Master degree in financial management and accounting.
• At least 7 years’ experience in financial management and accounting in a similar position in an international organization, non-governmental or development organization
• Undertaking and application of financial practices, policies concepts and procedures.
• Proficiency in ICT with demonstrated experience in MS Office, data management, experience working with an ERP software and or accounting application such as SUN System.
• Working experience of Agresso Business world software will be an added advantage
• Understanding of local laws and practices in the West and Central Africa region in regard to financial and taxation policies.
• Practiced and successful negotiator.
• Personal drive and process thinker.
• Team builder and team player.
• Creative thinker and capacity to make good commercial judgment.
• Fluency of both French and English (spoken and written)
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Ability to work under pressure and in a multicultural environment.
• Testimonials from three previous employers attesting the incumbent’s qualifications, performance and integrity.