All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships .
The NRC Central and West Africa region (CWARO) is composed of country offices in Mali, Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), North-east Nigeria, and Cameroon, with the start-up of programming in Niger and Burkina Faso ongoing. All countries are experiencing a deterioration of the security situation, increasing humanitarian needs and displacements numbers due to conflict. Displacement across the region is fluid and complex. Across the region new displacements occur alongside secondary displacements of people who are trying to return home, but often find themselves unable to reach their place of origin. An increasing number of people across the region live in protracted displacement and are dependent on humanitarian assistance for survival. The Central and West Africa Regional Office (CWARO) is overseeing the country programmes in the region, and provides strategic guidance across core programme, advocacy and support functions.
The purpose of the Regional Head of HR position is to assume the overall responsibility of HR management in the region promoting learning and cost conscious culture a high focus on quality. The Regional Head of HR has the overall responsibility for the strategic development of the HR in the region. This role includes the delivery of strategic analysis and direction to NRC’s regional HR management capability to provide maximum humanitarian assistance delivery in accordance with NRC HO policies and initiatives.
This role reports to the Regional Support Director
Duties and responsibilities
- Compliance and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Manage performance and staff development of the Regional HR Unit
- Implement the global HR initiatives/tools/system in the region
- Develop and implement specific HR procedures, SOPs, guidelines and tools in the region.
- Ensure HR control mechanisms in NRC operations in the region
- Provide regular HR analysis and statistics for the region
- Strategic development and planning of NRC CWA HR structure in relation to CO needs and HO requirements.
- Advise members of the Regional Management Group and Country Management Groups on workforce planning and organisational development, including scaling of the organisational structures at regional and country level.
- Develop and contribute to the implementation of an action plan with the objective to increase nationalisation and gender balance in the region.
- Identify new HR initiatives for staff capacity building in the region. Ensure that the regional L&D plan is in accordance with the need in the different CO
- Establish a mechanism for forecasting/budgeting and follow up on HR related need for the regional office
- Responsible for the strategy and implementation of the region staff care and duty of care policies/procedures
- Minimum 5 years of relevant Manager/Adviser experience within the humanitarian field
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Professional knowledge in HR
- Documented/proven results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English and French, both written and verbal
- Valid driver’s license
- Knowledge of the context the CWA region
- Experience with start-up, exit or similar
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Handling insecure environments
- Planning and delivering results
- Working with people
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Coping with change