The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
WFP gets food and supports to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. Assisting 91.4 million people in around 83 countries each year, the World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience.
WFP'S Human Resources:
WFP’s greatest strength is its 17,000 dedicated people working tirelessly around the world to reduce hunger, often under difficult conditions where security threats and risks to personal safety are considerable. The global context in which WFP operates is rapidly changing which means the need for effective people management is becoming more important than ever before.
WFP's regional office for Latin America and the Caribbean is located in Panama City (Regional Bureau Panama) and leads and supports the functions of 11 Country Offices throughout the region.
We are seeking a high caliber candidate to fill the role of Regional Human Resources Officer to lead and coordinate the HR function for the entire Latin America and the Caribbean region.
As part of the Global HR leadership team, this role is accountable for driving the talent management agenda, coordinating the people related dimensions of the operations and being an agent of change for the operations in the region.
The Regional Human Resources Officer directly supervises an HR team based in Panama and provides guidance and direction to the HR teams and focal points in each of the country offices in the region.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive):
- Partner with the Regional Director to drive the HR function and HR operations in a highly evolving operating environment for the delivery of the region’s operational goals and WFP’s strategic objectives.
- Participate in business planning as a member of the Regional Bureau Panama leadership team, and provide comprehensive HR strategic partnering to translate the region’s operational goals into a talent management plan.
- Proactively work with the Regional Director to drive workforce planning which enables Regional Bureau Panama to forecast and plan ways of building a diverse and high-performing workforce to meet its medium and long terms needs. This includes building national staff’s capacities and engagement in ways that respond to the region’s strategic and operational needs.
- Partner effectively with senior managers in the region to understand their priorities and provide expert advice and innovative solutions on all aspects of human resources, as well as on strategic and policy issues.
- Oversee the effective management of the employment relationship between WFP and its staff, providing guidance on conditions of service, contracts and appropriate entitlements and resolving highly complex employee relations issues.
- Guide WFP’s approach to building talent, understanding business needs and ensuring solutions to recruit, retain, manage and develop an effective workforce.
- Design a consistent, relevant onboarding process, ensuring new staff have a positive experience of WFP and are successfully integrated into their new role and the organization.
- Inform and lead the talent sourcing and talent acquisition strategy and operations.
- Develop and implement a regional talent development strategy and ensure effective performance management practices and culture in the region.
- Guide Senior Management at Country Office level on their organizational development initiatives, to ensure their teams perform in the most optimal manner.
- Interface with key roles and functional areas including HR Operations, HR Centre of Expertise, other Regional HRBPs, Finance, Legal, and third-party service providers.
- Take responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives in all areas of work, to ensure equal participation of women and men.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- 11+ years of postgraduate progressively responsible experience as a professional HR professional,
- 4+ years in a strategic partnership role, supporting and influencing senior executive leadership;
- Experience in the United Nations systems is desirable;
- Strong organization development and change management experience;
- Experience leading teams and navigating in a large, complex organizational environment;
- Designed and implemented HR strategies and business processes globally.
Functional Skills & Competencies:
- Expertise in identifying and driving HR solutions that enable the delivery of strategic objectives;
- Expert ability to assess, develop, recruit, retain and coach people;
- Knowledge of talent management solutions;
- Ability to work and deliver results within a highly complex organizational environment (i.e. with a diverse team, matrix structure, highly evolving operational context and staff working in hardship locations);
- Strong change management and project management skills;
- Strong partnerships, negotiation and analytical skills to influence senior management level;
- Exceptional communication skills and understanding of working with different cultures.
Education: Advanced University degree in Social Sciences, Human Resources Management, Public or Business Administration, Psychology or another relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communications in English and Spanish is required (level C).