Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
Position Title : Regional Labour Migration/Migration and Development Specialist
Duty Station : Cairo, Egypt
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P4
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, One year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 10 October 2016
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental
organization in the field of migration and works closely with
governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is
dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of
all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications
from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the
purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Cabo Verde, Czech
Republic, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia,
Guyana, Iceland, Cambodia, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya,
Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru, Papua
New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland,
Timor-Leste, United Republic of Tanzania, Holy See, Saint Vincent and
the Grenadines, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Director for the Middle
East and North Africa (MENA) and in close cooperation with the Head of
the Labour Mobility and Human Development (LHD) Division in Headquarters
(HQs), the successful candidate will act as a regional thematic
resource person; monitor and analyse regional thematic trends; support
regional thematic project development; and review and endorse projects
related to his/her thematic area of expertise in the region.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Consolidation of LHD activities
• Act as a thematic resource person providing guidance, technical
assistance, capacity building, training, research and general support to
Country Offices (COs). Contribute to building the capacities of IOM
staff in the thematic area through a combination of formal training and
• Deliver training sessions and presentations in conferences, workshops and meetings related to the thematic area of expertise.
• Monitor developments in the thematic area, and contribute to
national and regional strategy development in close collaboration with
the Regional Liaison and Policy Officer (RLPO), where available, the COs
and relevant HQs Departments.
• Participate in and actively contribute to IOM’s network of RTSs
globally, analyse and share best practices with relevant HQs Divisions
• Provide thematic and policy advice to the Regional Director, the
RTS´s, the CO´s and other concerned staff in the areas of labour
migration, ethical recruitment, remittances, diaspora, migrant
integration, pre-departure and cultural orientation and any other Labour
Mobility and Human Development initiatives.
• Develop regional thematic guidance notes, information sheets and
policy documents in coordination with the RLPO, COs and relevant HQs
• Develop contacts with the private sector and other stakeholders
relevant to issues pertaining to ethical recruitment within
international labour migration.
• Promote synergies and oversee appropriate coordination and information sharing on projects/
programmes within the Regional Office and with the relevant service area in HQs.
• Review, endorse, and track project proposals developed by COs in
the region, and provide regular updates to the concerned HQs Division on
projects endorsed in line with the IOM Constitution, IOM Strategy and
the Organization’s policies, thematic guidelines and manuals and any
relevant national and/or regional strategies; coherent, relevant, and
feasible, and take into account good practices in the respective
migration/thematic area(s); developed according to IOM’s project
development procedures as established in the IOM Handbook on Projects.
• Review and endorse donor reports where LHD is the primary or secondary responsible party.
• Lead the knowledge management initiatives and tools within the
thematic area, aligned with the regional and global strategy, and apply
lessons learned and practices within the thematic area in coordination
with the Knowledge Management Officer.
Development of strategic priorities in emerging and emerged thematic areas within the region
• Identify and develop regionally relevant internal strategies and
activities in the areas of labour migration management (and its relation
to broader economic and labour market goals) and diaspora engagement.
• Actively engage in project development and closely monitor as well
as actively support implementation when necessary of IOM projects
relating to labour migration in the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC).
• Foster partnerships and develop and implement agreements with key
strategic partners in the region in particular such as with the Arab
League (AL), the Arab Labour Organization (ALO), International Labour
Organization (ILO), African Development Bank, Ministries of Labour in
the GCC in coordination with the RLPO. This shall include the
development of position papers, visibility materials and joint studies.
• Develop regional and multi-country programmes and projects in the
thematic area and in emerging thematic areas and identify anticipated
synergies between thematic areas in close coordination with the RLPO and
• Represent IOM in the region by actively participating in
conferences, workshops and meetings related to the thematic area of
expertise and emerging thematic area, as required by the Regional
• Identify new emerging thematic areas and develop regional or
sub-regional proposals and relations with stakeholders and counterparts
on potential partnership modalities.
• Perform any other duties that may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Business Administration, Migration Studies,
International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited
academic institution with seven years of relevant professional
• University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience.
• Demonstrated expertise in the thematic area relevant to project development;
• Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/international institutions and
• Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation;
• Knowledge or experience of regional issues an advantage.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Arabic and French is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment;
incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes
equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is
medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa
requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via
PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 10 October 2016 at the latest,
referring to this advertisement.