Overall purpose of the role
Overall purpose of the position is to assist nine country offices in the region to strengthen and develop MEL systems and tools, and ensure that these are applied for solid and accountable programming. Working with programmatic counterparts and the ME&L staff at the global, regional and country office level. The Advisor will engage in policy, strategic as well as programmatic developments to ensure the DRC global and regional office continues to grow the efficiency and effectiveness of their ME&L practices.
Lead in implementing global DRC Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Minimum Operational Procedures (MELMOPs) and Global Results framework at the Regional and Country Levels:
- Maintain regional level M&E system in accordance with DRC minimum standards for M&E, and implement the global DRC evaluation policy
- Ensure that all programs in the region adhere to the DRC MELMOPs
- Support adherence to the DRC Evaluation Policy and Guidelines.
- Support the development of Regional and Country level MEL guidelines, frameworks and strategies for achieving adherence to relevant policies and frameworks where they does not exist.
Enhance Program MEL Design, Budgeting, Planning and Reporting Systems with a view to improving the quality and effectiveness of MEL in programmes and projects:
- Put in place appropriate mechanisms, systems and tools that will facilitate structured and systematic participation and inputs by ME&L focal points in country strategy development, proposal development and reporting processes
- Ensure that key elements of DRC planning processes including Strategic Program Documents, Quarterly Reports, Annual Reviews and Results Contracts are adequately informed by M&E data and information as well as learnings emanating therefrom.
- Work with and support the Regional and Country Program teams to institutionalize theory of change thinking as an organizing framework for improving programme design, implementation, evaluation and learning processes
- Assess existing and further develop procedures used for ensuring program quality in coordination with the global processes of strengthening monitoring and evaluation in DRC;
- Review and provide technical input into the development of log frames/results frameworks, informing, reviewing and approving monitoring and evaluation plans and budgets for all new proposals, prior to their submission to donors.
- Lead the development of capacity and systems for knowledge management and learning at the Regional and Country Levels;
- Provide technical support to ensure that DRC/DDG is able to articulate and document relevant best practices and assess performance regularly against agreed program objectives and indicators.
- Ensure capture of lessons learned from Regional and Country level annual reviews
- Along with colleagues produce lessons learned policy papers and implement the suggestions in relevant countries.
- Institutionalize a system of reflection and learning across all stages of the DRC Project life cycle and ensure that systems to facilitate utilization and reapplication of learnings, both internally and externally, are developed and implemented
Provide technical support to in-country based MEL and Programme teams with a view to ensure coherence and improve quality in data collection, analysis and reporting:
- Support the country offices to improve quality of monitoring, evaluation and accurate reporting,
- Support rollout of the DRC EAGL Online MEL database aimed at facilitating real-time reporting of M&E data and information
- Direct support to strategic evaluations, assessments and programme monitoring at regional and country level
- Ensure global level involvement larger evaluation activities in the region and support the global HQ M&E desk
- Establish the use of digital technologies for MEL data collection, management, and visualization
- Provide capacity building training, coaching and mentoring to staff, primary stakeholders, and implementing partners in project design, monitoring and evaluation, development of indicators and Logframes, development of M&E plans and specific M&E assessments and surveys.
- Continuously QA the quality of data collection and data entry
- Support the establishment and maintenance of a culture of using MEL data and evidence for decision-making
Team Management and Coordination
- Direct supervision and management of MEL Staff at the regional level.
- Collaboration and coordination with all MEL Managers/Coordinators at Country Office level.
- The position reports to Deputy Regional Director
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate each of DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: you focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process
- Collaborating: you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: you take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: you act in line with our vision and values
- Master’s degree in fields related to organization learning, international development, or MEL.
- Min of 7 years of INGO or other international organisation with a Minimum of 5 years of technical experience in Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning in a senior programmatic capacity.
- Demonstrated understanding & experience of MEL within complex international development contexts and geographies.
- Experience developing and supporting the rollout of centralized online MEL Data Management and Reporting systems
- Experience working with Program/MEL Teams at varying technical capacities
- Experience managing MEL Communities of Practice for learning and sharing
- Experience establishing Community Feedback/Accountability and reporting guidelines and systems
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- High accuracy and attention to detail.
- Well planned and organized and has a capacity for initiative and decision making with competent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player with demonstrated leadership and participatory manner.
- Excellent communication skills in English is required.
- French language would be an advantage.