United Nations Development Programme, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
Closing Date for Applications:
Under the overall guidance of the OHCHR Deputy Regional Representative and direct supervision of OHCHR Administrative/Finance Associate, the Janitor/Custodian ensures daily work of a large office maintaining office electrical/sanitary/lavatory/water engineering/heating systems.
The Janitor/Custodian demonstrates a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy, tact and the ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Permanently control an operation of equipment of the Office premises and ensure their proper functioning in order to dispose and uninterrupted power supply to the office
- Ensure that an electrical system in the office premises is maintained in strict line with the standard technical safety norms
- Control and maintain a proper functioning of reserve power supply generator
- Ensure a normal exploitation of pumps fixed at Pump Room
- Ensure that the ventilation and conditioning system of the office is normally used. Timely review air conditioners filters. If required, to contact with the local companies to render repair services of conditions Control and maintain a proper functioning of reserve power supply generator;
- To have the lighting system functioned in a proper manner. To ensure a timely receipt of lighting bills;
- To daily check a workability of bulbs and lamps placed in the office and replace the obsolete bulbs by new ones. This function should be carried out without repeated reminders;
- To immediately report to the OHCHR Administrative/Finance Associate and the relevant servicing agencies on any breakage of systems and to negotiate with service-providers in case of non-operation or breakage of system;
- To undertake the minor repair works of electric machines and electrical household equipment placed in the Office Premises;
- To approach the Municipal Electric Department every month and advise it the meter’s data.
- To ensure the timely receipt of electricity bills and check their correctness;
- To certify that a work has been satisfactorily completed by service-providers.
Sanitary/Lavatory and Water Engineering Systems
- To maintain the sanitary/lavatory and water engineering of the office Premises in a good workable condition by fulfilling the following primary tasks:
- To set-up the Quarterly Technical Check-up Schedule for undertaking the preventive exercises of sanitary/lavatory system as required;
- To immediately report to the supervisor on any breakage of systems and to negotiate with service-providers in case of non-operation or breakage of systems;
- To control and maintain an operation of water meter;
- To approach the Water Department at the end of each month and advise the water meter’s data. To ensure the timely receipt of water bills;
- To monitor a pressure level in the water tubes and If needed, to connect them with additional feeding pumps;
- To certify a satisfactory work completion by service-providers with regard to repair and replacement of sanitary/lavatory and water installations.
- To ensure that a heating system of the Office Premises is operated and maintained in a proper and safe manner as per the standard technical norms by performing the following primary tasks:
- To undertake the preventive exercises as required;
- To immediately report to the supervisor and the relevant servicing agencies on any breakage of systems and to negotiate with service-providers in case of non-operation or breakage of systems;
- To record the heating meter’s data within the heating season in order to control a proper workability of meter;
- To approach the Municipal Heating Service at the end of each month and report the heating meter’s data. To ensure the timely receipt of bills;
- To control over a pressure in heating system for prevention of surplus air accumulation and corrosion.
- To perform janitorial and basic maintenance duties, which include cleaning all office areas and the office kitchen and re-stocking restroom supplies.
- To be responsible for performing routine maintenance of garden areas.
- To negotiate with a contractor the renovation works in the office ensuring that the electrical, sanitary/lavatory, water and heating installations are properly operated and the unserviceable ones are duly replaced by them within a one-year guarantee period attested by the contractor,
- If needed preform temporary additional small disinfection duties.
- To perform other duties as required.
- The efficient and prompt delivery of services impact on a whole range services and operations in the unit and result in meeting client (internal / external) needs and satisfaction.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education. Higher diploma in engineering of electromechanics is an asset
- A minimum of 1 year of work experience as Janitor/Custodian would be desirable.
- Work experience with UN Agencies would be desirable.
- Knowledge of operating heating system is an asset.
- Knowledge of operating and maintenance of the generator explosion engine is desirable.
- Being polite, accurate, neat, efficient, committed to work.
- -Fluency in Russian. Knowledge of English and Kyrgyz is an asset