Regional Office Finance Manager
The World Agroforestry Centre, Nairobi, Kenya
Closing Date for Applications:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement efficient and effective procedures for budgeting and accounting
- Advise budget holders on financial management
- Ensure workshop budgets are fully costed and accounted
Financial reporting and Monitoring:
- Develop and implement a financial monitoring dashboard for the Eastern Africa Regional Office
- Implement, improve, report and monitor internal controls over financial reporting, especially related to segregation of duties, bank reconciliation, fixed assets management, accruals and appropriate level of provisions
- Coordinate the timely submission of the Eastern Africa Regional Office monthly reports to Headquarters
- Assist in the review and monitoring of financial reports from sub-grantees
- Provide technical supervision and mentorship of accounting staff
- Establish monitoring mechanism for the performance of accounting unit
- Assess training needs on financial issues of Kenya Regional Office staff and coordinate provision of the same.
- Maintain efficient relationships with our host partner ICRAF and ensure timely receipt of invoiced services and dispute resolution
- Financial policies and procedures
- Ensure that CIMMYT’s established financial policies and procedures are adapted and implemented in the Eastern Africa Regional Office. Coordinate the provision of feedback on gaps and implementation issues.
- Provide high quality Financial Services delivery to CIMMYT staff and projects.
- Maintain Integrity over CIMMT’s accounting system.
- Ensure compliance with the countries’ statutory and financial regulatory framework
- Ensure compliance with Kenya host country agreement on financial matters.
- Ensure compliance with direct and indirect Tax regulations: Prepare taxes computations and follow up VAT reimbursements
- Support the CIMMYT Internal Audit Unit (IAU) in organizing internal and external audits and coordinate the conduct of the same at the Eastern Africa Regional office
- Operational/Administrative Coordinate the regional rollout of the institutional ERP (enterprise resource planning system = Microsoft Dynamics AX).
- Ensure proper set up of accounting codes and system and update changes for CIMMYT-Kenya
- Oversee postings into the CIMMYT accounting system and prepare and send financial statements and reports to HQ
- Oversee processing of all bank transfers and reconciliations
- Ensure timely remittances and accounting of staff advances and payment to vendors
- Ensure adequate cash flow for Eastern Africa Regional office needs and prepare schedules for transfers from CIMMYT Central account
- Assist in remittances of per diems and other workshop expenses to external recipients
- Lead in corresponding with CIMMYT HQ and Financial Institutions on financial matters
- Negotiate for favourable foreign exchange rates with financial institutions
- Negotiate contracts for financial services
Required Academic and Professional Qualifications:
- A minimum of an MBA in Accounting; Finance or related field
- A minimum of a CPA or its equivalent.
- A minimum of 5 years relevant work experience in international development institution
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Experience working with donors and knowledge of donor requirements of funded projects
- In-depth knowledge and hands on experience in accounting software packages, especially Quick Books and MS AX Dynamics
- In-depth knowledge and hands-on experience in Microsoft office suite (especially Excel) and SharePoint
- Good analytical and report writing skills
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Courtesy, tact and the ability work with staff in multi-cultural setting
- Ability to multi-task in a busy working environment and must be a team player.
- Ability to work well under pressure
- To supervise the financial services of CIMMYT-Eastern Africa Regional Office and to ensure the proper allocation, utilization and reporting of funds.