Regional Project Management Specialist
UNOPS, Amman, Jordan
Closing Date for Applications:
- The Regional Project Management Specialist will play an integral role in Specialist Services, Capacity Building, Training and Knowledge Management.
- The successful incumbent will advise project staff on the application, interpretation and adoption of corporate policy, guidance and best practice; provide expertise and support in implementation of PRINCE2® and UNOPS PM Methodology.
- This role will also be involved in the support of training and internal consulting in project and programme management.
- This role may be required to support surge capacity requirements for special initiatives and requests from within the region. Key to this role, the successful candidate will also contribute to the community of practice, make recommendations on policy and tools to the Practice Leads; provide necessary advice and support during the “formulation phase” of new initiatives with focus on project structure, governance, assurance and quality control arrangements.
The Regional Project Management Specialist will be responsible for representing all aspects of the practice within the region. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- The incumbent will provide substantive support to Programme Managers/Project Managers/Team Managers in the planning and implementation of projects and programmes throughout their whole life cycle within Middle East.
- S/he will be responsible for providing advice to projects or programmes that may need to be brought back to stability.
- Undertake missions to country offices and project sites to review and advise accordingly with regard progress and problem resolution, within the region.
- S/he will drive and support world-class performance, organizational excellence and continuous improvement.
- Participate in the review of proposals for new initiatives in the region as appropriate, via the corporate Engagement system and providing advice to the relevant authorities as necessary
Technical Advice and Quality Assurance
- Provide advice to Head of Programmes, Programme Managers, Project Managers and Heads of PMOs on how to embed best practices of project and programme governance, risk management, project and programme management in their Country Offices.
- Advise and provide expertise/support in the implementation of UNOPS Project and Programme Management methodologies, which are based on best practices as recommended by PMI and PRINCE2®
- UNOPS is fully committed to the Paris Agenda on national capacity building; the Regional Project Management Specialist will play a crucial role in advising UNOPS Programme and Project Managers on measures to strengthen national capacity building with regards to sustainable project management best practices, as well as other cross cutting issues, and support a stronger focus on benefit management of projects.
- Assist with the development of work plans and provide tangible support in helping country offices, where relevant, achieve P3M3® level 3 or 4.
- Support UNOPS Partnership development agenda in the region through his/her expertise, regional contacts and ability to demonstrate a depth of experience in the project management field.
- Provide strategic advice with regards to leads of high value and/or risk to the region and/or Country Office, supporting Engagement Authorities in strengthening project governance engagement structures and processes to enable the achievement of high standards and consistent UNOPS defined project success criteria.
Training and Development
- Develop and deliver project management training to UNOPS and its partners, and liaise with other relevant industry leaders and UN agencies in training and project management initiatives.
- Providing capacity development within the region for PM Standards, processes and tools
Knowledge Sharing and Technical leadership
- In coordination with IPMG, the incumbent will deliver project/programme maturity model assessments and follow-up missions, and provide advisory support to field staff on UNOPS best practices, engagement risks, management models, and use of PM tools and systems.
- S/he will support country offices in the establishment of PMOs.
- Support training and internal consulting in project and programme management and provide project development advice and assistance to field staff in support of IPMG initiatives and roll-outs.
- S/he will advise Country Offices’ personnel, programme and project management practitioners on the application, interpretation and adoption of corporate policies, guidance, tools and best practices
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in relevant discipline is required;
- A combination of first-level university degree with additional 2 years of experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree;
- PRINCE2® Foundation certification is required;
- PRINCE2® Practitioner and/or PMP certification is highly desirable;
- MSP® Foundation and/or Practitioner would be an asset;
- Minimum 5 years of progressively responsible experience in project/programme management or related area;
- Experience in developing countries in project/programme development or project implementation is required; experience in the Europe, Middle East and/or Asia regions is highly desirable;
- Prior experience with international organisations and the development sector is an asset.
- Demonstrated leadership, facilitation and coordination skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work in an independent manner.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required;
- Fluency in written and spoken Arabic is an asset