The Regional Projects Manager is overall responsible for ensuring the timely and compliant delivery of DRC’s programme activities in the field for multi-country and cross-border projects as outlined in programme documents and sector strategies, and in line with the programme technical guidelines.
A key member of DRC West Africa’s Department of Multi-country Operations, the Regional Projects Manager works collaboratively with technical experts of the regional office to ensure sufficient technical guidance and support is available to implement regional projects effectively (Humanitarian Disarmament and Peacebuilding, Economic Recovery, Protection). The Regional Projects Manager also works collaboratively with the Support Services team to ensure that processes to enable smooth delivery of operations in the field are being consistently applied and improved (e.g. HR, Admin, IT, Finance, Supply Chain, etc.).
Country offices, Area Managers and Project Managers are primarily responsible for the timely and quality implementation of multi-country operations in their countries and regions. The Regional Projects Manager works in support to the Country Programmes Area Managers where regional and/or multi country grants are implemented. The Regional Projects Manager ensures technical support in grant management and project cycle management is available to Area Managers and monitors the timely implementation of activities in these areas.
- Supervise, monitor and evaluate multi-country projects implementation by Area Managers and Head of Bases.
- Manage the regional projects team (currently an international multi-country operations trainee and an international regional grants management trainee) and the Project Manager of SHIFT project in Niger (based in Niamey in the partner’s premises).
- Develop multi-country project management through the implementation of internal services contracts between countries and Regional Office.
- Support concerned Area Managers in countries in planning operations and activities; contribute to their training plan and capacity building and develop toolboxes to improve operations planning and monitoring.
- Ensure close cooperation with technical and support teams in the regional office and in countries
- Supervise and develop strategic partnerships involved in the regional projects.
- Support Area Managers in managing partnerships at the local level.
- Develop tools for partnership management in the region.
- Champion a positive approach to gender and diversity mainstreaming in DRC’s regional projects.
- Support the roll out of accountability processes in Regional Projects.
- Represent DRC West Africa in relevant forums at Country level as requested by the Country Director, when regional activities are concerned.
- Assist the Regional Head of Multi-country Operations and Regional Director in representing DRC in meeting with regional projects financial partners and donors.
- When manageable, the Regional Project Manager may be asked to carry out other duties requested by the Regional Head of Multi-Country Operation.
- Relevant university degree (Master or Postgraduate) in international relations and/or development, political science or similar field
- Min. 5 years’ experience overseas in complex humanitarian emergencies and development, preferably with refugees and/or IDPs
- Substantial project management experience in NGO, including in consortia and leading strategic programming and planning, implementation, monitoring and learning
- Substantial experience in managing and developing partnerships with local and international organisations
- Experience in managing HR, administration, finance, grants and donor relations
- Ability to transversal management with multidisciplinary teams, large workload and multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines
- Good understanding of displacement issues and related international standards/frameworks
- Team player with excellent communication and strong participatory leadership skills
- Excellent written and spoken French and English
- Excellent Computer Skills (MS Office, Internet)
- Previous experience in a Central / Western African country
Required Skills & Qualities
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment
- Proven analytical and critical thinking skills
- Team-oriented & good sense of humor