Regional Protection Coordinator
Danish Refugee Council, Central African Republic
Closing Date for Applications:
Overall Purpose of the Role:
The DRC Regional Protection Coordinator will play a strategic role in leading the protection in humanitarian and nexus contexts for DRC East Africa and Great Lakes Region. A part from guiding the strategic vision for DRC’s protection response at the regional and national level, she/he will also play a pivotal role in providing learning opportunities on the most relevant and up-to-date protection related issues, thematic areas and initiatives. This post will also proactively provide evidenced based analysis to support and nurture the durable solutions frameworks and advocacy initiative on behalf of internally displaced people, refugees and other people affected by displacement in the region.
She/he will report directly to the Deputy Regional Director and collaborate closely with the Protection Unit in Copenhagen, as well as the other coordinators in the region.
- Lead technical support to country operations and protection staff, particularly in the following programmatic areas: protection information management, protection monitoring, community-based protection and psychosocial support, child protection, GBV, and legal assistance.
- Provide technical inputs into the development of programme, outcome level protection tools and guidance, as requested.
- Support in country capacity on Protection Information Management (PIM) as per international standards and principles.
- Advise the countries and regional office on protection in strategic documents and proposals and ensure that protection, gender, diversity and age, and conflict sensitivity are mainstreamed and adequately reflected in relevant strategic documents, decisions and practice.
- Contribute to / take lead in developing DRC and joint policy position papers / briefs and advocacy messaging on thematic protection issues in close collaboration with the regional advocacy coordinator.
- Provide technical guidance on developing protection integrated programme for the region.
- Participate in regional, and/or national meetings and clusters to represent displacement people’s concerns as well as propose solutions.
- Take the lead in raising the protection profile of DRC in the region by conducting external trainings, participates in seminars and provide with quality protection responses.
- Ensure links with Regional Office initiatives such as the Regional Mixed Migration Secretariat (RMMS) and Regional Durable Solutions Secretariat (ReDSS) in coordination with the Regional Communication and Advocacy Coordinator and under the supervision of the Regional Deputy Director.
- Provide surge support to country programmes, when essential
- Ensure a regular and proactive communication with the protection unit at the HQ level, in Copenhagen
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
- Post-graduate qualification in the field of law, political and social sciences/humanities, in general.
- Minimum 10 years of working experience in protection in humanitarian and nexus contexts, of which majority is field-based
- Proven experience in training and development of national and international staff members and organisations.
- Working experience in an international humanitarian organisation or UN agencies
- Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and adaptability
- Excellent networking skills
- Experience working in insecure environments and willingness to travel within the region
- Work related experience from the East Africa and Great Lakes region or similar complex displacement situations.
Languages: Fluent in written and spoken English and French