Regional Representative, East and Southeast Asia
International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI), Hanoi, Vietnam
Closing Date for Applications:
- Strategy Development & Implementation: Develop a strategy, in collaboration with Institute’s Management Committee, for East and Southeast Asia that prioritizes ILRI livestock research activities in the region (Southeast Asia and China) in relation to regional and national livestock research priorities and also contributes to an Asia-wide Strategy and activities that encompasses South Asian countries.
- Resource mobilization: play a significant and proactive role in raising resources for ILRI’s strategic priorities in the region. These would align with ILRI’s overall priorities; its Asia regional priorities and those of the region with regard to the livestock sector.
- External Relations: Proactively build, establish and maintain effective relationships with ILRI partners in the region with emphasis on state and national governments, regional and international organizations and key development agencies that have been identified as priority stakeholders.
- Research activities: In coordination with ILRI Program leaders and CRP focal points, facilitate the initiation and implementation of CGIAR Research Programme activities and other ILRI projects in the region. In some cases depending on area of expertise, contribute directly to research leadership and outputs.
- Communications: Develop, in collaboration with the corporate communications team, a Communications and Knowledge Management Plan for the Region aimed at key stakeholder groups and guide and supervise local communications staff. Represent ILRI at national, regional and international fora to ensure that ILRI is engaged in developing the livestock agenda in the region.
- Capacity development: Proactively facilitate capacity development of regional stakeholders, including graduate fellows, in national agricultural research institutes, universities, governments and the ILRI team itself to ensure development of priority livestock research activities and livestock policies that respond to local needs and contribute to development impacts, within the context of ILRI and CRP capacity development strategies. Ensure all capacity development activities are closely aligned with ILRI research priorities and play a coordination and support role for Capacity development activities in East and Southeast Asia.
- Internal relations: Facilitate linkages between ILRI HQ and staff in the region. Assist staff in various offices in the region to coordinate plans and activities. Act as the central point of contact and liaise with ILRI staff traveling to the region to undertake activities in East and Southeast Asia.
- People and budget management: Propose staffing requirements in the region with a view to reviewing the capacities required to deliver on priority activities in the Asia Strategy including representation, communication and capacity. Manage the budget and other resources, including staff for the East and Southeast Asia Regional Office, ensuring coherence between expenditure and desired outcomes.
- Contribution to project and related activities: Contribute technical and other skills as appropriate to specific projects and other ILRI priority activities, including capacity building.
- An Advanced degree in an agricultural discipline with a focus in livestock sciences and at least 7-10 years of experience post-PhD.
- A broad range of technical and managerial skills and experience in the agricultural/livestock research and development arena, preferably in East and Southeast Asia and in managing diverse projects spanning multi-disciplinary teams, a mix of development and research partners, including financial management and investor engagement.
- Demonstrated resource mobilization skills and an understanding of the context and priorities required to raise resources to deliver on ILRI’s strategic agenda.
- Proven skills to lead, motivate and manage teams and to obtain positive results from working in diverse partnerships with national, regional and international institutions in research, extension, development and in public, private and civil society.
- Work experience in the Asian region and an understanding of the research for development landscape and how national governments and regional bodies work.
- Ability to synthesize and assess regional development challenges, and to articulate, implement and lead a livestock research for development strategy.
- Ability to build partnerships across ILRI Programmes, CGIAR Research Programmes, and Research support units and across the organisation.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to communicate to a broad and diverse audience.
- Post location: The position is based in Hanoi, Vietnam.
- Position level: The position is Principal Scientist level.
- Duration: 3 years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and continued funding.
- Benefits: ILRI offers a competitive international salary and benefits package which includes 15% Pension, Medical insurance, Life insurance and allowances for: Education, Housing, Relocation, Home leave, Annual holiday entitlement of 30 days + public holidays.