FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research, technology, communication and social marketing — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
As we evolve to meet the challenges of the future, we stand committed to the principles that have guided our organization for the last 40+ years. Our work continues to be grounded in research and science, strengthened by partnerships and focused on building the capacity of individuals, communities and countries to succeed.
Job Summary / Responsibilities:
- Provide technical leadership and regular support to FHI 360 program and country offices to ensure that programs are well designed based on the best available evidence, and supported by robust monitoring and evaluation systems.
- Build the capacity of FHI 360 staff and local partners to develop and implement SI/M&E systems in line with donor requirements and best practices, through formal training and regular mentoring.
- Regularly analyze project performance data from large quantitative datasets, produce custom data visuals to better understand performance and guide progress towards targets at a granular level, and identify quality gaps.
- Guide data quality assurance system development, implementation and analysis at program level, and support programs in developing data quality improvement plans.
- Develop PMELPs, and M&E work plans, and advise on appropriate systems and tools, ensuring that M&E system implementation adheres to the appropriate global strategy and remains technically sound.
- Further program learning and adaptation through analysis and triangulation of data, documenting program successes and contributing to the production of analytical and technical reports, presentations and related publications.
- Contribute significantly to proposal development, utilizing best practices and practical knowledge for cutting edge monitoring and evaluation strategies and activities.
- Design, conduct and/or advise on appropriate evaluation and learning designs and strategies, which may include: special quantitative and qualitative studies, implementation science, social network analyses, size estimations, second generation surveillance studies, modelling.
- Advise on and help design innovative data collection systems that make appropriate use of ICT, and contribute to real-time data being available for analysis.
- Collaborate with FHI 360 staff and partners to present and publish SI/M&E articles at relevant conferences and in peer-reviewed journals.
- Maintain a constructive dialogue and technical exchange with field counterparts, technical staff and stakeholders at implementation and strategic partner level.
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with donor/client organizations, professional networks, relevant government agencies, bilateral and other NGOs.
- MPH or equivalent with at least 8 years of experience providing Strategic Information/Monitoring and Evaluation technical assistance or senior program-level M&E leadership, especially in international settings.
- Excellent English language, both written and spoken.
- Experience with health program datasets, databases or electronic medical records platforms like DHIS 2, Open MRS etc.
- Ability to manage work independently, set realistic priorities, and plan for the successful implementation of activities.
- High level communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to undertake additional responsibilities as necessary, and ability to work under pressure.
- Experience with technical assistance in HIV and/or health programs, including PEPFAR, in developing countries.
- Ability to travel internationally between 25-50%.
- Strong statistical data analysis skills, proficiency with STATA, R or SAS a plus.
- Experience designing, developing or overseeing roll-out of mobile data collection systems a plus.
- Experience with business development a plus.
- South African national preferred. South African languages, French or Portuguese a plus
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift 5-50 lbs.
Technology to be Used: Personal Computer, Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), e-mail, telephone, printer, calculator, copier, cell phones, PDAs and other hand held devices.