UNDP in Sri Lanka is reorganizing internally and moving to an integrated collaborative business model. Internally, an energetic and innovative team will converge around the planning, design, implementation and quality assurance of an integrated programme in a fast-paced environment. Fostering strategic partnership and alliances with different stakeholders will require a team which consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude and has a strong client orientation. Strong UN partnerships are valued for Delivering Together in a true spirit of collaboration and teamwork.
This position is primarily focused on the technical work of Reporting and Communication, which will mainly service the needs of the projects in the broader governance and peace building portfolio focusing on SDG 16, while also providing support to the environment portfolio on an as- required basis.
The incumbent will be based in Colombo and work under the overall supervision and guidance of the Programme Quality and Design Analyst (Governance), liaising very closely with all project staff and counterparts from implementing organizations. He/she will be fully responsible for providing day-to-day assistance in all communication and reporting tasks to the team, working closely with the Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist and relevant project staff to ensure appropriate data and information is made available for results-based reporting. In accordance with the guidance from the Country Office Communications Team on UNDP corporate requirements, as well as in-line with the different donor reporting guidelines, the Communications/Reporting Specialist will play a pivotal role in ensuring that the progress of UNDP’s ongoing projects is well documented, proof-read, and reported in a timely and high-quality manner. He/she will also play a pivotal role in providing on-the-job training for project staff and counterparts from implementing organizations on results-based reporting requirements. The incumbent will also support in the development of new concept notes and project proposals whenever required for purposes of future resource mobilization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Key Results Expected:
Function/ Expected Results: Work closely with the Monitoring and Evaluation Specialists and relevant project staff to ensure accurate collection, documentation and analysis of information and data from projects in a results-based and timely manner:
- Work collaboratively with the Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist to ensure that the required quantitative and qualitative data required to prepare results-based and quality reports is identified and collected directly from project colleagues well in advance of reporting deadlines.
- Visit the projects routinely to identify and capture human-interest stories (case studies) on a regular basis to illustrate the impact of UNDP’s projects.
- Support in reviewing and analyzing information provided through baseline needs assessments and evaluations conducted on UNDP supported projects, and ensuring this information is reflected in reports as appropriate.
- Support the identification and documentation of links, synergies, lessons learnt and good practices across projects that can be incorporated into reports.
Function/ Expected Results: Report on project progress and completion both qualitatively and quantitatively according to the annual work plans and log frames of various projects, in line with UNDP corporate requirements and the respective donor’s requirements:
- Maintain a reporting calendar to ensure that that all reports are submitted in a timely manner.
- Liaise directly and independently with donors and refer relevant reporting guidelines to ensure that the required reporting formats and instructions are followed, and that required information is presented precisely and accurately, meeting high professional standards of English language skills, editing, formatting and overall graphical presentation.
- Support in drafting UNDP’s periodic internal reports (including the Results Oriented Annual Report-ROAR) in-line with corporate guidelines.
- Participate in the preparation of terms of references for project assessments/evaluations.
Function/ Expected Results : Provide analytical information to maintain/update corporate websites and other knowledge management systems:
- Extract information analytically using valid sources to provide analytical background information on issues pertaining to the Governance portfolio’s work.
- Regularly and proactively prepare/ disseminate communications products (project briefs, news releases, articles, power-point presentations, brochures, website updates, talking points, etc.,) in order to give maximum visibility to UNDP’s projects
- Develop clear and concise reports/briefs and power-point presentations for various meetings, workshops, conferences, etc., including Project Board meetings and development partner briefings, whenever required.
- Maintain a photograph archive/repository of communications and visibility materials related to projects so this material can be incorporated into reports and communication products as required.
Function/ Expected Results: Support the formulation and implementation of communications and advocacy strategies, and strengthen a culture of results-based reporting within project staff and implementing partner counterparts:
- Prepare communications and visibility strategies and relevant budgets for all major projects and ensure that progress reporting on these strategies is incorporated into donor reporting.
- Lead on ensuring that the activities identified in the communications and visibility strategies are carried out and budgets appropriately utilized. This would include managing contracts with relevant external consultants if required.
- Undertake regular field visits to partner organizations/local stakeholders to provide advice and guidance on the outreach and visibility components and share knowledge and good practices;
- Conduct trainings as required for implementing partners and project staff on UNDP’s reporting standards and requirements.
Support in drafting concept notes and proposals for future resource mobilization whenever required:
- Work closely in liaison with relevant team members (and where required -external consultants) to develop concept notes and proposals for future resource mobilization purposes.
- Participate in donor meetings when requested by the supervisor to identify opportunities for future resource mobilization, and to make linkages/partnerships with potential donors and other partners.
- Lead on the final formatting/language and other final editing/proof-reading required prior to submission of concept notes and proposals.
- Actively scope out and identify opportunities for UNDP’s resource mobilization purposes in-line with ongoing and planned project work.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Communication -Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- People Management -Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Delivery- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Innovation -Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Leadership -Ability to persuade others to follow
- Excellent subject knowledge on Communications and Reporting
- Leads on ensuring all communications and reporting requirements are met in a timely and high-quality manner.
- Strong IT skills and experience presenting information graphically and effectively.
- Generates innovative and creative ideas and follows up to materialize them into results.
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Promotes knowledge management and creates a learning environment in the office by strengthening existing systems.
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development
Ability to mainstream Gender into Programmes and Projects Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to work independently with a team and lead results-based reporting related initiatives.
- Ability to submit timely and high-quality work for sharing with external audiences.
- Ability to lead on formulations of concept notes and proposals
- Ability to implement new systems and affect staff behavioral/attitudinal change
Management and Leadership:
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively and quickly to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Required Skills and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in communications, journalism, development studies, social sciences or a multi-disciplinary area relevant to the terms of reference, WITH, at least 2 years of relevant experience in a communications/reporting capacity
- A Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, development studies, social sciences or a multi-disciplinary area relevant to the terms of reference, WITH, at least 5 years of relevant work experience in a communications/reporting capacity will be considered in the absence of a Master’s Degree.
- Documented evidence of experience in preparing case studies, minutes, donor reports, country context analyses and creative communications and outreach products is required, and samples will be requested during the recruitment process.
- Evidence of having completed recognized trainings in results based reporting/monitoring and evaluation and other communications and reporting related functions in-line with TOR requirements would be advantageous.