IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information.
IREX is currently registering in Uzbekistan and needs a local representative who can be available as needed to oversee the local development of IREX’s relationships with local stakeholders and government, adherence to requirements, and launch of operations. The IREX Uzbekistan Representative will be responsible for understanding the landscape, developing a useful network and connections, and identifying opportunities for IREX. The Representative will push for progress for IREX to establish a physical presence. The Representative will liaise with IREX’s local legal team, DC financial management team, and eventually deal with logistics, human resources, and operations. The IREX Uzbekistan Representative will coordinate closely with IREX staff based in the United States and the Kyrgyz Republic.
GENERAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Overall support for establishing operations and technical coordination in country;
- Organize, convene and document relevant meetings with funders and critical stakeholders, government officials, and others as required and requested by IREX;
- Coordinate asset-mapping with local stakeholders, to include identification of funding and development opportunities in the country;
- Recruitment & enrollment of short-term project staff, experts, professionals, and volunteers;
- Support in promoting the organization and programs, community outreach, etc.;
- Assist in the organization and convening of training sessions/workshops and other capacity-building activities for programs;
- Contribute to initiatives planned by IREX, for the promotion of the program and other initiatives at their behest;
- Researching and identifying suitable banks to open a local account;
- Research and document that all financial management, accounting, and procurement is in compliance with Uzbek law, donors’ and funders’ regulations, and IREX policy;
- Ensure that IREX is prepared to have the appropriate financial record-keeping policies and practices are established and maintained;
- Occasional travel within Uzbekistan or regionally as needed;
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Legal resident of Uzbekistan with authorization/documentation to work in Uzbekistan as a consultant;
- Minimum 5 years working with NGOs or similar organization as a head of office, senior accountant, and/or finance officer, preferably with USG experience;
- Knowledge of Uzbek regulatory environment for NGOs;
- Preferred: Budgeting and budget tracking skills, as well as financial management skills;
- Preferred: Experience with donor grants and contracts procurement and compliance;
- Must possess and provide for consultancy own computer, phone and transportation;
- Strong computer skills—Microsoft Office applications;
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills;
- Fluency in Uzbek required; professional proficiency in speaking, reading and writing in English preferred; Russian skills a plus.