IFC—a sister organization of the World Bank and member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work with more than 2,000 businesses worldwide, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in the toughest areas of the world. In fiscal year 2018, we delivered more than $23 billion in long-term financing for developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity.
The IFC Macro and Market Research Department reporting to both Economics and Private Sector Development VPU and Portfolio VPU, is a unique research team in charge of generating thorough analyses of countries and market’s dynamics to identify strategic implications for IFC business and IFC investment clients. The unit caters strategic and proprietary research to IFC Senior Management, respective reporting VPUs, IFC investment departments and existing or potential investment clients of IFC. It combines in-house expertise in macroeconomics, financial markets analysis, portfolio, policy and development trends. The team leverages IFC operational and industry knowledge and WBG macro and sector expertise to provide a comprehensive view of global and country-specific industry trends and investment opportunities. The unit’s output includes:
- global and regional outlooks on macro and market trends as well as their drivers to inform business and portfolio decisions,
- country-risk ratings based on macro-economic, market and political developments and other credit monitoring tools such as BICRA and CICRA,
- strategic asset allocation framework and recommendations,
- in-house macroeconomic models such as the Medium Term Vulnerability Model and FX Models,
- market research tools that support investment decisions, such as equity and FX valuation, commodity prices analyzes, capital flows, trade and debt monitoring, for sourcing, valuing and managing IFC investments,
- applied fundamental research such as productivity, demographics and urbanization, and
- industry research products such as valuation by sector, household surveys forecast, corporate, banking vulnerability and in-depth industry analysis.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with other colleagues on monitoring, analyzing and regular reporting on global economic and financial developments globally, with the emphasis on developing countries
- Contribute to the development of the unit’s analytical apparatus/modeling capabilities, especially related to financial additionality, analysis of capital flows, and the analysis of country risk and debt trends
- Develop appropriate data gathering techniques, interpret and analyze data and develop meaningful insights
- Lead or contribute in the development of analytic tools used by IFC operations staff
- Actively engage with the team in providing with topics for further analysis, research ideas and new ways to present concepts
- Represent IFC Macro and Market Research Department at all levels of the organization and engage with staff across departments
- Take over the internal work tracking database integrating both excel and stata, producing regular reports to the director
- Master’s degree in economics, finance, or international relations with specialization in macroeconomics, financial economics, applied economics or related fields.
- 1-3 years of professional experience in a research, market monitoring or analytical role, preferably in commercial banks, investment banks, hedge funds, central banks, or ministry of finance
- Ability to combine theoretical frameworks with applied research
- Strong insight over inter-disciplinary topics combining political science, political economy, macroeconomics and financial markets
- Strong understanding of the economics of development, the challenges developing countries face and the role of the private sector
- Experience in analyzing diverse macroeconomic issues such as capital flows, debt trends, and in translating findings into ready-to-use graphs and presentations
- Broad knowledge and understanding of linkages between major sectors of the economy and private sector dynamics
- Extensive experience and knowledge of Microsoft Excel, DataStream, Haver, econometric packages (eViews, Stata), and presentation/graphic packages (Tableau, Power Point)
- Ability to thrive under pressure and function effectively while managing multiple tasks simultaneously. Strong organizational skills
- High level of attention to detail and capacity to deliver high quality work
- Demonstrated written and verbal communications skills in English; having experienced quality control functions of market reports would be a plus
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to function effectively and collaboratively in a team environment, including the willingness to share information and best practices
- Strong teamwork and client orientation
- Enthusiasm for, and commitment to development
- Experience working in or studying in countries outside of the home country.