The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) is globally headquartered within the Economics Department at MIT. J-PAL Southeast Asia (J-PAL SEA) is one of six independent regional offices based around the world hosted at local universities. J-PAL is a pioneer of using randomized evaluations to answer critical policy questions in the fight against poverty. J-PAL SEA, based at the Institute for Economic and Social Research, Faculty for Economic and Business at the University of Indonesia (LPEM-FEB UI) seeks a qualified applicant for a Research Analyst position to independently conduct data analysis of a high-profile government project in Indonesia. The project will use nation-wide administrative data from a government partner which is the main sources for a large-scale randomized evaluation.
The position offers an excellent opportunity to gain hands-on experience and to have significant responsibility in a vibrant organization undertaking cutting-edge development research. The position requires strong data and analytical skills. In collaboration with the respective principal investigators (PIs), the Research Analyst will independently conduct data processing, verify the integrity of data, and perform statistical analysis of an on-going study. An ideal candidate is comfortable with programming, have an excellent orientation to detail, and basic quantitative analysis. In addition to their respective PIs, a Jakarta-based Research Manager and a Research Fellow will guide and supervise the Research Analyst in her/his various tasks.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
Conduct quantitative work:
- Prepare datasets, for specific projects according to specifications required by the relevant PIs and research team(s). This involves (but not limited to) data cleaning, data quality, merging multiple files, creating and applying inclusion and exclusion criteria, variable creation, and harmonization assessment for various data sources.
- Perform statistical analysis including econometric modeling.
- Prepare data dictionary, documentation and user manuals.
- Participate in the preparation of written and oral presentations that summarize the analysis of data.
Reporting and Communication:
- Maintain effective and efficient communication with supervisors and PIs
- Provide periodic updates on project activities to PIs and subject experts
- Produce documentation of project progress.
- Indonesian nationality.
- A Bachelor's degree in mathematics, physics, chemistry, statistics, computer science, IT or engineering. Fresh graduates are encouraged to apply.
- Has a record of consistent academic excellence.
- Familiar with programming language and logic with any programming software.
- Has great attention to detail and is vigilant in her/ his analysis to come to correct conclusions.
- Strong mathematics and analysis skills. Able to work with large amounts of data: facts, figures, and data crunching.
- Flexibility, self-motivated, and ability to effectively work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
- Able to translate the data into an understandable document; write and speak clearly, easily communicating complex ideas.
- Able to look at the data, numbers, trends, and come to new conclusions based on the findings.
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in Bahasa Indonesia (preferred) and English (added value)
- Has an interest in pursuing a postgraduate degree (Master’s) in economics, social sciences, public policy, or related fields.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.