Research and Statistical Assistant
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, Canada
Closing Date for Applications:
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
- The UNESCO Institute for Statistics (UIS) in collaboration with the UNESCO Natural Sciences Sector is establishing a global baseline dataset on Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) education as well as on STEM education governance, policies and strategies. The overall objective of the project is to collect information and data that will help inform UNESCO’s strategic planning, decision making and targeted interventions for strengthening STEM education globally. The project comprises two stages as follows: Conduct/Production of situational analysis reports of STEM education in various regions; and production of a baseline data set on STEM education and country baseline profile reports.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the overall authority of the Director of the UIS, the guidance of the Head of Section, Science, Culture and Communication Statistics (SCCI), and the direct supervision of the Associate Programme Specialist in Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) Statistics, the incumbent shall provide technical, procedural and operational support for the implementation of the UIS/UNESCO Project on establishing a set of baseline data on STEM education as well as obtaining information to better understand the STEM education governance, policies and strategies globally. Within this context, more particularly, the incumbent will:
- Support the production of a STEM education baseline database by;
- Assisting with the collection, processing and verification of data obtained from countries. This would include administrating the data collection, processing and verifying data and following up with country respondents, as necessary.
- Support the collection, processing and verification of data from secondary sources (such as international databases).
- Establishing an Excel based database for data and indicators.
- Prepare data tables, charts and graphics, as necessary.
- Assist with the preparation of reports.
- Perform additional activities that may be required to ensure success of the project.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
- Accountability (C)
- Communication (C)
- Innovation (C)
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
- Planning and organizing (C)
- Results focus (C)
- Teamwork (C)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
- Completion of post-secondary (Cegep or equivalent), technical or vocational education, preferably including courses on statistical methods or data processing. Additional training in economics and/or statistics would be an asset.
- Minimum eight (8) years of relevant full-time experience in the collection, verification, processing or analysis of statistical data.
Skills and competencies
- An aptitude for numbers and the ability to present statistics in tabular and graphic forms are required.
- Ability to manage and analyse large data sets using advanced functions of MS Excel or with a statistical package.
- Proficiency in MS Word/Outlook. Advanced skills in MS Excel including the creation, use of macros and graphics tools is considered as assets.
- Knowledge of specialized statistical software packages would be an asset.
- Good organizational skills. Ability to work under pressure and flexibility to adjust work schedules and priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with good teamwork spirit in a multicultural environment.
- Excellent knowledge of English is required.
- A bachelor or equivalent degree in statistics/economics or another area with a strong quantitative component would be an asset.
- Experience within a Governmental organization or in an international environment in economic/social science research.
- Knowledge of education or science statistics.
Skills and competencies
- Advanced skills in MS Excel including the creation, use of macros and graphics tool.
- Knowledge of specialized statistical software packages.
- A good knowledge of French is highly desirable.