Research Assistant and Sr. Research Assistant

UN University of Computing and Society, Macau SAR, China

Skill Required:, Research and Analysis
Preferred Experience: 
5 years
Email for CV Submission: 
Closing Date for Applications: 
22nd December, 2017

Job Description

We are looking for qualified people for Research Assistant positions in each of our three action-oriented research labs:

Digital Peace Lab: focusing on ICTs for peacebuilding, supporting human security, enhancing responses to crises and mitigating human displacement;

Gender Tech Lab: focusing on promoting women’s empowerment and facilitating sustainable community-led development; and
Small Data Lab: focusing on ICTs that create actionable knowledge from local data to empower citizens with data they trust and to improve global datasets with local data.

Who are we and where are we located?

  • We are the United Nations University Institute on Computing and Society (UNU-CS). We are a start- up research institute working at the intersection of information and communication technologies and international development. We are located in Macau, SAR, China. Our work is directed at the key challenges faced by developing societies through high-impact innovations in computing and communication technologies.
  • What are the responsibilities of Research Assistants at UNU-CS?
  • Your responsibilities will include helping us to carry out research projects and assisting in the production of articles, policy reports and other materials. We are looking for people with experience and interest in computing or social science, quantitative or qualitative methods, and/or system design and development.
  • You will help in preparing and disseminating information on our research, events, publications and announcements on social media and UNU-CS online distribution lists. You may also help to write and post articles, announcement and events on the UNU-CS website (
  • You will be supporting the organization of events and conferences, lectures, workshops and other public events.
  • Part of your responsibilities may also be to provide administrative support to the research team, institute administration and the Director.

What qualifications do I need for a Research Assistant position?

You need to possess:

For Research Assistant positions

An undergraduate degree (Bachelor’s) in an area related to one of the above-mentioned research labs;

For Senior Research Assistant positions:

  • A Master’s degree in relevant area or
  • A Bachelor’s degree with three or more years of advanced or specialized experience, such as in software design and programming.

Both positions also require:

  • Proficiency with modern computer programming and analysis environments;
  • Excellent communication skills, with proficiency in both oral and written English;
  • Knowledge of social media platforms;
  • The ability to engage actively, creatively and imaginatively for the benefit of UNU-CS research;
  • Strong interpersonal skills with sensitivity and respect for diversity to facilitate working in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment.

What are the contract and salary details?

You will be employed under a UN University Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) for an initial period of one year. This contract can be renewed subject to good performance and availability of funding. PSA contracts cannot be renewed beyond a combined duration of six years. PSA contracts are non-UN staff member contracts and do not hold international civil servant status as defined in the UN Staff Regulations and Rules.
The starting monthly salary for the Research Assistant positions is US$1,996. The starting salary for Senior Research Assistant positions is US$2,505. UN remuneration is not subject to taxes in Macau. Internationally recruited Research Assistants also receive housing assistance and may receive other benefits. Please see our website ( or ask us for more details as to your full remuneration package.

What is the starting date for these positions?

We hope that the selected persons will be able to start working with us as soon as possible.

How do I apply for a Research Assistant position?

  • We require a cover letter from you summarizing your qualifications and experience and how they match the requirements mentioned above. The cover letter is a test of your writing ability and helps us to assess your real interest in the position. Just dashing us a copy of your CV will not work!
  • Please state clearly in your cover letter that you are applying for a “UNU-CS Research Assistant position”.
  • A curriculum vitae (or résumé) with a list of your relevant research experience and publications.
  • A completed and signed UNU Personal History form (P.11) which you can download from the UNU website at An indication of the reference number of the vacancy announcement (2017/UNU/CS/PSA/RA/29). Please do not use similar forms provided by other UN organizations.
  • Please send your application materials to:

This is an active recruitment process and there is at present no application deadline. We will accept applications until we fill the open positions.
Applications from suitably qualified women candidates are particularly encouraged.
For more information on the United Nations University and its work, please have a look at our websites: ( and

Recommend your friend

Copyrights 2017. All rights reserved | Technology Partner: Indev Consultancy Pvt. Ltd