OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The Prevention and Implementation Group (PRI) at IARC conducts large scale, multicentric cancer prevention studies. Large quantities of data are collected daily in multiple centres and entered in dedicated databases, which require ongoing back-up, management and quality control.
Support from a Research Assistant who can perform data cleaning, data maintenance and preparation of data for analysis is critical to PRI activities.
Note: Start date for this position is normally set for as soon as possible. However, in light of the evolving Covid-19 situation, the start date of the position may be impacted until such date that the successful candidate be able to physically report for duty on IARC premises in Lyon 8th.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the supervision of PRI Scientists, and in a collaborative team setting, the Research Assistant (Data Management & Analysis) will carry out the following key duties:
- Receive, back-up and perform quality control and cleaning of data received/web-based inputted and develop or adapt tools to systematically identify data inconsistencies;
- Ensure data consistency from different sources by monitoring data flow from collaborating centres and corresponding with collaborators for the validation/correction of data;
- Document the changes (and reasons for these changes) in databases, in validation strategies and in data processing and analyses;
- Assist with design of questionnaires or data input methods.
- Completed secondary education or equivalent and additional education in programming, data management, statistics or another closely related field (BTS, DUT or equivalent).
Desirable: First university degree (Bachelor’s), Engineering degree or Master’s degree in a related field.
- At least three years of relevant work experience (including paid internships) in one or more of the following areas: data cleaning, data maintenance, quality control of datasets, customization of databases.
- Experience in SQL, Oracle or equivalent programming language.
- Experience on Stata, R or similar statistical package.
- Experience in handling epidemiological data.
- Familiarity with data analysis techniques such as the following: manipulation of large datasets, development of macros to automate routine data cleaning tasks and/or quality control of datasets
- Ability to maintain and customise databases.
- Capacity to manage own workload and to set priorities.
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to work harmoniously as a member of a team and within networks of people having diverse educational and cultural backgrounds.
Use of Language Skills
- Intermediate or higher level of English is essential (read, written and spoken).
- Knowledge of French and/or Spanish is desirable.