FHI 360, Washington DC, United States
Closing Date for Applications:
Support US-based quantitative and qualitative formative-research and evaluation tasks funded by CDC, NIH, various foundations, and other Social Marketing and Communication clients. Project work will include multiple domestic communication initiatives addressing a variety public health and social change-related topic areas. Conduct analyses of primary and secondary quantitative and qualitative data supporting various projects with methodologies including surveys, focus groups, usability/user-centered design studies, interviews, content analyses, environmental scans, and reviews of academic literature. The research associate will work as an integral member of a team of applied research and evaluation, public health, health communication, and finance staff to implement a broad range of projects and activities, with specific contribution expected in the area of research and evaluation and additional support provided, as needed, on non-research activities of SMC’s communication projects.
- Assist with design and implementation of quantitative and qualitative research, including drafting tools and instruments, collecting and analyzing data, synthesizing findings and summarizing results from surveys, focus groups, usability/user-centered design studies, interviews, ethnographies, content analyses, environmental scans, and reviews of academic literature in public health, social sciences and behavioral sciences.
- Contribute to primary and secondary analyses of quantitative data including analyses and searches of marketing, media and lifestyle surveys (e.g., Nielsen, MRI, Scarborough), government surveys, and data developed specifically for project; and reviews of audience segmentation data, public opinion or marketing surveys.
- Work with senior staff to create accurate and easy to understand data visualization products to communicate research and evaluation findings.
- Develop draft protocols and informed consent documents for research studies. Ensure compliance with government regulations and provide guidance on any protocol related issues.
- As needed, provide support on non-research tasks to support communication projects. This may include, but not be limited, to collecting and summarizing digital/social media metrics.
- Contribute to providing counsel to clients and internal staff based on research findings in the form of reports, documents, tables, charts, spreadsheets, manuscripts, forms, research instruments, and oral presentation materials using Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Use good judgment to monitor and address client issues in a timely manner and keep senior project management apprised of activity progress.
- Contribute to new business development efforts.
- Assist with monitoring of vendors and consultants, including coordination and processing of procurement and finance documents.
- Assist with planning of meetings, site visits, and drafting necessary documents.
- Receives general instructions on routine work, detailed instructions on new projects or assignments.
- Typically reports to a Manager/Director.
- Bachelor’s degree or its international equivalent in Health, Behavioral, Life or Social Sciences or other fields related to human development, including some coursework in research and evaluation methods. Master’s degree strongly preferred.
- Typically requires 3-5 years of job-related research or evaluation experience.
- Experience working on topics related to diabetes, obesity, or other chronic diseases or conditions is preferred.
- Familiarity with statistical software (e.g., SPSS) to manage data and conduct descriptive and inferential analyses. Additional experience using qualitative software (e.g., NVIVO) as well as survey platforms (e.g., Qualtrics) preferred.
- Ability to produce research products including summary reports, tables, charts, spreadsheets, manuscripts, data collection instruments, research and evaluation tools, and presentation materials using Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated experience conducting primary and secondary data analyses, including analysis of media and marketing data.
- Knowledge of formative, process, and outcome evaluation methods, preferably in public health and/or communication.
- Previous experience working with digital/social media metrics to assess communication reach and engagement.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated mature attitude and good judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collegial and collaborative manner with work colleagues and clients.
- Demonstrated ability to work accurately and to meet deadlines under pressure.
- Strong organizational skills and keen attention to detail.