About the Organization:
The Whitney and Betty MacMillan Center for International and Area Studies at Yale, commonly known as the MacMillan Center, is a research and educational center for international affairs and area studies at Yale University. The MacMillan Center seeks to make understanding the world outside the borders of the United States, and the role of the United States in the world, an integral part of liberal education and professional training at the University.
Position: Research Associate, PayDash – EPoD India at LEAD at Krea University (Patna, Bihar)
About the Role:
EPoD India, in partnership with its host institution, LEAD at Krea University, is currently seeking a Research Associate to support a field-based project in Bihar while being based out of Patna. Further details on the project are outlined below.
The position requires a self-starting candidate who can conduct in-depth interviews and scoping activities, manage field activities and coordinate with field staff for the execution of surveys and randomized control trials (RCTs), and support with high quality cleaning and rigorous analysis of both primary and secondary data. The selected candidate will have the opportunity to join a team of leading economists and public policy experts from Yale University and EPoD India at LEAD to work on cutting-edge development research and gain first-hand experience working with policy partners, implementing surveys and field experiments, and conducting rigorous data analysis.
- Oversee the day-to-day implementation of field-based research (scoping, surveying, project implementation in the field) – including the management of field personnel, procurement, budgets, and reporting for the project
- Assist in the design and field-testing of survey instruments and develop and implement appropriate structures and systems for a larger randomized intervention, including the procurement of supplies; development and oversight of field and quality control protocols; recruitment, training, and leading of field staff; and coordination with local partners
- Manage day-to-day relationships with national, state, and lower-level government officials and other potential partners (academics, policy organizations, NGOs, etc.) as requested
- Provide appropriate inputs for project management (budgets, reports, etc.) for Yale and EPoD India at LEAD and for program monitoring and reporting to the management hub
- Seek out and collect administrative data from partners and government agencies
- Conduct data cleaning, manipulation, and analysis using multiple primary and secondary data sources
- Review and report on academic literature of requested topics in support of policy briefs and research projects
- Contribute to analysis and writing of policy briefs for various government partners and case studies on project components
- Others, as required
- Bachelor’s candidates with at least 2 years of experience with data-based research, preferably in economics or a related field. Field experience is a plus.
- Strong interest in public policy and economic development in low-income countries.
- Excellent oral and written English and Hindi communication skills.
- Proficiency in Stata and the Microsoft Office suite is required; experience in spatial analysis
- Mature, self-directed individual with ability to balance multiple tasks and prioritize effectively to meet deadlines in a fast-paced working environment.
- Master’s degree in economics or a related field.
- Candidate should have strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to engage with policy partners at various levels.