About the Organization:
Indian Institute for Human Settlements (IIHS) is a national education institution committed to the equitable, sustainable and efficient transformation of Indian settlements. IIHS aims to establish an independently funded and managed national university of eminence for research and innovation focused on the challenges and opportunities of India’s urban transition.
Position: Research Associate / Data Analyst - Tamil Nadu Urban Sanitation Support Programme (TNUSSP) and Citywide Inclusive Sanitation (CWIS)
They are looking for a person who is passionate about the development sector and has a deep interest in working with spatial and non-spatial data. The candidate would be contributing to research on a range of topics with a focus on water and sanitation issues, and involving a variety of tasks including data extraction, analysis and visualisation.
The position of Research Associate / Data Analyst could be either a regular position or a contractual project-based engagement for an initial duration of 11 months, renewable on mutual consent. The position will be based out of Chennai, with travel as necessary to other locations in the State and India. The Research Associate / Data Analyst will support across all components of TNUSSP, and work closely with the Governance and Enabling Framework team to deliver specified tasks.
Activities and Tasks
Responsibilities would include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Assisting with primary and secondary research related to the TNUSSP and CWIS projects on a variety of topics including Governance, Inclusion, etc.;
- Extracting and collating data (qualitative, quantitative and spatial) from existing secondary datasets (censuses, surveys etc. from various websites and databases) as well as building new datasets on water, sanitation and other related sectors;
- Engaging with GoTN to collect relevant data related to water, sanitation and other related sectors;
- Assisting in review and analysis of datasets, including contributing towards creating high quality outputs/visuals (dashboards, graphs, infographics, etc.), for independent use or inclusion in reports or other briefing/research material for internal and external audiences;
- Assisting in review, quality assurance, analysis and regular reporting/tracking of indicators identified to monitor / evaluate the TNUSSP and CWIS initiatives;
- Engaging with team members to socialise datasets and to support in bespoke data analysis;
- Assisting in developing and managing data collection (including survey instruments for primary data collection) and entry protocols, and implementation;
- Providing writing assistance on reports, academic papers and other outputs as part of the project;
- Supporting tasks as and when required including planning, budgeting, training, implementing and monitoring;
- Providing support to other IIHS activities including, academics, research, practice, operations, training and other activities;
- Participating in all activities and meetings of institution-building at IIHS; carrying out tasks as assigned by IIHS; and travel on IIHS work within or outside the country as needed.
- Applicants are required to possess a Master’s degree or its equivalent in relevant fields such as (but not limited to) Economics, Public Policy, Urban Planning, GIS, Development Studies or related disciplines.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of demonstrable experience in data analysis and visualisation is required.
- S/he should also have analytical and report writing skills, possess good communication skills, and proficiency in standard MS office applications – Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of any data analytics and visualisation tools, and experience in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) or any other development sector, would be an added advantage.
- Reading and writing skills in Tamil and English are essential.