We support the rights of children from birth to adulthood. And we empower children to prepare for and respond to crises and adversity. With our reach, experience and knowledge, we drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels.
For more than 80 years, we have been building powerful partnerships for children and we are active in more than 70 countries.
For more information
Plan has been operational in Mali since 1976 and has active programming in child survival and maternal health, education and development, child protection and participation, and livelihood security.
Supporting a consortium made up of Plan Canada, Plan Mali, McGill University and a national educational research partner, the manager will provide overall logistical and managerial assistance.
- The manager will ensure the effective, adequate and coordinated implementation of a 3-year research project, PREAM, aimed at establishing evidence on the interaction between schooling and empowerment, especially among girls. in emergency contexts.
- He / she will facilitate the execution of the PREAM project through a collaboration between Plan International Canada (Plan Canada), Plan International Mali (Plan Mali) and McGill University in Montreal, in partnership with the national education research partner
- The manager will provide leadership in project management, liaising with technical research partners, to ensure technical quality oversight, as well as to ensure research relevance to the community of practice. He / she will coordinate efforts to obtain the expected results and achieve the objectives set in order to inform policies and practices related to education and gender equality in settings affected by conflict.
Roles and Responsibilities of:
- Provide technical coordination of activities as well as leadership in project management.
- Guarantee project management, human resources administration, as well as sound financial supervision based on quality criteria, while respecting deadlines and effective monitoring and evaluation of the project.
- Coordinate the implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of the project and ensure quality control and timeliness of all expected results, as required in accordance with the organization's commitments.
- Ensure regular coordination with the various stakeholders: Plan International Canada (Plan Canada), Plan International Mali (Plan Mali), McGill University and the national educational research partner.
- Collaborate with the IMAGINE project in order to maximize the synergies between the two projects.
- Ensure the monthly, quarterly and annual planning of project activities.
- Supervise the activities of the staff under his authority and of the partners and other actors of the project under his supervision by ensuring the correct execution of their missions in accordance with the performance indicators.
- Seeks to establish and maintain excellent working relationships and propose appropriate solutions to resolve problems or conflicts.
- Maintain a framework of quality support, advice and production of results relevant to the project.
- Support obtaining the necessary approvals from the Institutional Review Board to conduct the study.
- Produce project activity reports within the specified deadline.
- Ensure good document management of the project.
- Develop detailed work plans based on project objectives, results and activities and ensure their implementation by project staff and partners.
- Ensure the collection and analysis of project data including gender analysis and disaggregation of data by sex and age.
- Operationalize a monitoring / evaluation and learning framework and a basic management information system to systematically collect, store and analyze information in order to monitor the performance of the research project.
- Maintain clear documentation of lessons learned from challenges and successes encountered, from research design to implementation.
- Facilitate learning meetings including brainstorming exercises with the research team and other stakeholders.
- Ensure that project learning incorporates a gender perspective analysis, including lessons learned on the safe and effective participation of girls and boys and marginalized groups.
- Develop and implement safeguard mechanisms with partners.
- Oversee all financial aspects of the project including financial reporting and communicate any variation to the plan.
- Develop and coordinate the validation of all the strategic and operational documents of the project.
- Prepare quality reports on time as required by the donor and project management and the internal procedures of Plan international Mali and Plan Canada.
- Supervise project staff.
- Participate in all knowledge production and dissemination activities, in partnership with the various teams.
- Coordinate the local advisory group on child protection made up of the PREAM local and international research team. Convene meetings and consultations with group members to guide research ethics in relation to safeguarding.
- Carry out any other activity relating to the project that may be entrusted by the supervisor.
- Anticipate and overcome any difficulties or potential challenges in the implementation of project activities. This includes COVID-19 and security (this includes understanding, communicating and monitoring Malian government and Plan Mali guidance (including flagging workplan implications), developing assessments of risks and mitigation plans (in collaboration with Plan Mali).
- Integrate the gender approach by ensuring that gender considerations, the promotion of gender equality and the empowerment of girls and women are integrated into all operations and implementation of the project.
- Ensure accountability for the production of quality reports, respect for donor requirements and community ownership of programs.
- Provide the project with the skills necessary to resolve any problems relating to the implementation of the project, in particular by planning the missions and the means to be used to do so.
- Inform in good time of any problem that could constitute a blockage for the implementation of activities.
Communication and labor relations
Internally , close working relationships are expected with the following:
- Plan international Mali country management team
- McGill Research Team and the National Education Research Partner
- Plan Canada staff members including the program manager and technical advisors
- Steering committee members
- Representatives of the Ministry of Education and other relevant ministries
- Representatives at local level
- Externally , permanent communication with project implementation partners, scientific research groups in Mali and the cluster if necessary is required for this position.
Knowledge, skills and behaviors required:
- Experience in coordinating and / or administering gender-sensitive research studies, including data collection, management, entry and storage of at least 5 years.
- Management of projects focusing on gender, gender equality and the empowerment of girls and adolescents, including education.
- Good experience of collaboration and teamwork with different stakeholders (colleagues, partners, government officials and donor).
- Have a perfect knowledge of Windows, computer systems (Word, Excel, internet, PowerPoint), various communication applications as well as the Internet. Knowledge of Nvivo and SPSS an asset.
- Experience in planning, monitoring-evaluation, capitalization and reporting
- Experience in office administration and organization.
- Experience working in an environment with security risks.
Abilities / skills :
- Hold a Doctorate or Masters in education, development, social sciences or any other related field.
- Understanding of children's rights, and equality for girls, in terms of gender equality, in safeguard
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Fluency in French and local languages, knowledge of English is an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal and intercultural skills.
- Ability to work under pressure, without supervision, and to meet deadlines consistently and demonstrate flexibility and initiative.
- Able to operate in an environment presenting security challenges of collaboration and to work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to work with researchers for effective project management.
- Demonstrated financial literacy, ability to ensure effective management, implementation, monitoring and reporting of resources.
- Good meeting / workshop facilitation skills.