The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
CHAI has been working in India since 2004 in close partnership with and under the guidance of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) at the Central and States’ levels on an array of high priority initiatives aimed at improving health outcomes. Currently CHAI works across projects to expand access to quality care and treatment for HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis-C, tuberculosis, cancer and immunisation. Additionally, CHAI is also supporting the government of Madhya Pradesh (MP) on large-scale programs to arrest childhood and maternal mortality due to malnutrition, anaemia, diarrhoea and pneumonia, and helping increase access to quality Family Planning services.
In India, CHAI’s Family Planning program is working towards improving access to safe sexual and reproductive health (SRH) services, including a wide range of high-quality contraceptive choices and safe termination of pregnancy care.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with outstanding credentials for the role of Research Manager. S/He must be able to function independently and flexibly and have a strong commitment to excellence. The Research Manager operates as an expert in the planning, management, analysis and stakeholder engagement for CHAI’s partner organization supporting reproductive health with CHAI. The Research Manager ensures quick and efficient delivery of high-quality results that provide new insights and strong evidence for decision-making towards continuous improvement of the CHAI SRH programs to maximize impact. The Research Manager will lead the implementation and hands on monitoring of large-scale quantitative field research and data collection activities in close collaboration with the data collection agencies to ensure integrity in data quality, completion of research projects within deadlines and that research deliverables meet quality standards and program requirements.
Research Management & Program Coordination
- Lead communications and relationship engagement with CHAI SRH management and teams (in cooperation with partners)
- Manage, lead, supervise and oversee the Bhopal based CHAI research team comprising of an analyst and program officer
- Engage with CHAI SRH program teams to maintain ongoing understanding of current program goals, strategies and implementation and performance status and share with team
- Support in insight generation and knowledge transfer (in cooperation with partners) and lead mapping of potential intervention areas based on research
- Support the dissemination of research findings with government and other stakeholders with CHAI leadership
- Support the drafting of technical narratives, publications, and other dissemination products
- Draft field operation plans, training modules, discussion guides, research protocols
- Identify and support in contracting third party data collection agencies and manage the relationship on a day to day basis
- Ensure top quality training of large survey teams on quantitative (and qualitative) methods to ensure high quality data collection
- Manage coordination and relationship with research implementation teams
- Support the development of documentation for obtaining government approval on researchLead fieldwork planning, testing and execution
- Oversee fieldwork implementation to ensure data quality; develop data quality protocols
- Liaise with tool programmer and manage functioning of data collection
- Support development/modification of data collection instruments as directed by the team
Data management and analysis
- Devise Data Quality Audit methods and reports and take corrective actions to ensure top most data quality
- Clean and manage large data sets: create, record and execute data cleaning commands; version control data sets, link data sets etc.
- Analyse large datasets: compute indicators from raw data, descriptive stats and univariate and bivariate analyses; collapse data, merge different data sets etc.
Undertake other duties as requested by the leadership
- Master’s or PhD degree in Economics, Statistics, Demography, Public Health, Epidemiology, M&E or a related discipline
- 5-7 years’ work experience in executing large scale research (qualitative & quantitative); experience in development sector research preferred
- Expertise in coding in STATA/R and advanced Excel
- Excellent data analytic skills, ability to manage and mine large amounts of data, etc.
- Excellent communication (written, verbal and visual presentation) skills
- Experience in the planning and execution of field research, developing training materials and data quality monitoring processes
- Ability to translate insights from study into recommendations for on the ground programming
- Experience in management of mobile based application/software for data collection
- Ability to think strategically, handle ambiguity, and problem solve in a fast-paced, limited-structure, multicultural environment
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- High level of proficiency with research methods
- Extensive travel required between Delhi and Bhopal