The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is the world’s premier research organization dedicated to reducing poverty and hunger through rice science; improving the health and welfare of rice farmers and consumers; and protecting the rice-growing environment for future generations. IRRI is an independent, nonprofit, research and educational institute, founded in 1960 by the Ford and Rockefeller foundations with support from the Philippine government. The institute, headquartered in Los Baños, Philippines, has offices in 17 rice-growing countries in Asia and Africa, and over 1,000 staff.
Working with in-country partners, IRRI develops advanced rice varieties that yield more grain and better withstand pests and disease as well as flooding, drought, and other harmful effects of climate change.
- Under the close supervision of the researcher, prepare and maintain experiment(s) and perform tissue and seed collection, basic data gathering and encoding.
- This position will be based at the IRRI Headquarters, Los Baños, Philippines and may only be filled by permanent citizens of the Philippines.
- Current IRRI staff are encouraged to apply and will be prioritized.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Perform/conduct day-to-day activities to support the establishment of rice germplasm
- Support in the basic preparation and maintenance of genetic stocks, parental materials of crosses, hybrids, and recombinant inbred lines specifically in activities such as panicle bagging, harvesting, and threshing.
- Assist in monitoring the identity and vigor of germplasm planted for seed increase and characterization by rouging off types and diseased plants
- Contribute to the data collection, encoding and documentation of characterized
- Provide timely, consistent and accurate information to direct supervisor to ensure that research objectives and SOPs are followed
- Support scholars, students, researchers and scientists in establishing screen house experiments
- Assist in the maintenance and organization of greenhouse/screenhouse to ensure order and cleanliness following protocols of the Institute including storage of fertilizers and tools used in the field and screenhouse
- Assist in the characterization of germplasm by taking or recording measurements and basic qualitative data
- Assist in sample collection and processing (e.g., biomass and leaf tissues for DNA extraction)
- Assist in emasculation and pollination following standard protocols
Qualifications: High school graduate with 1 (one) year relevant work experience
Skills Required: Has basic knowledge of MS Office programs such as Word and Excel or related software
Preferred: Experience in rice production