Amnesty International’s Business, Security and Human Rights team was created following the merger of two teams in January 2020: Military, Security and Policing, and Business and Human Rights. The team conducts investigations, research, campaigning and advocacy on a range of issues in these two related fields, as well as providing legal and policy advice to colleagues from across Amnesty International.
The team sits within the Global Issues Programme of the International Secretariat. We are hiring a new Business and Human Rights Researcher on a one-year basis.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Amnesty International is looking for an experienced human rights researcher, or journalist, or professional with extensive industry knowledge to conduct research, write a report and other materials as well as develop campaigning and advocacy strategies in relation to our ongoing work on global battery supply chains.
Batteries are at the centre of the global transition to clean energy, and power electric vehicles, tech devices and home storage units. But Amnesty International’s research has shown that they can also be linked to human rights abuses and environmental harm.
The postholder will be responsible for the next phase of our campaign on this issue. Their primary task will be to research and write a flagship report that assesses the current state of the industry and the steps that major global brands are taking to address human rights and environmental concerns in their battery supply chains.
The report will be published within nine months of the postholder starting. Research may involve travel.
The postholder will also develop and then lead an advocacy strategy, off the back of the report.
- Develop and then implement a research plan that results in a major new report examining the measures that global brands that manufacture batteries or the vehicles and devices that use them, are taking to respect human rights and minimize environmental harm.
- Complete the report within the first nine months of the contract and then lead on advocacy efforts.
- If necessary, organize and undertake field research missions, leading specifically on information gathering, fact-finding, analysis and assessment of relevant human rights concerns expressed by stakeholders on the ground, as well as assessments of company responses and industry initiatives ; prepare, where necessary, security assessments, political and other briefings related to the mission for Amnesty International management, mission participants and internal or external stakeholders; and represent Amnesty International, including to government officials, partner organizations and the media.
- Provide expert advice on research and research methodology on business and human rights to Amnesty International staff to ensure quality and consistency of work in this area.
- Provide policy advice on issues of business and human rights to Amnesty International staff, sections/structures, and other Amnesty International membership bodies in order to ensure accuracy and relevance, and the integration of these issues into Amnesty International ’s work.
- Write or contribute to the drafting of timely and effective reports, briefings, position papers, correspondence, action materials, press releases, and other internal and external documents in order to implement Amnesty International ’s agreed strategies.
- Develop and coordinate the implementation of specific advocacy initiatives, contribute to campaigning strategies, and manage specific sub-projects within the framework of agreed strategies for the unit, the International Secretariat and the Amnesty International movement. This may include coordination of project teams and supervision of consultants.
- Develop and maintain effective constituencies of public and confidential contacts and partners outside of the organization -- such as human rights activists, partner organizations, members of legal and other professions, UN agencies and governmental representatives -- to optimize information gathering and verification and the development and implementation of effective strategies and plans.
- Contribute to the development of programme- and movement-wide strategies and plans for research and campaigning, including through internal discussions on the Amnesty International mission, policy, organizational and other issues in order to increase the effectiveness of Amnesty International ’s work.