Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
• The American Red Cross (ARC), International Response & Programs, Asia, Middle East & Europe (AMEE) Region seeks an experienced Resilience Delegate to provide leadership for the management of ARC’s programs in Vietnam and support capacity building of the Vietnam Red Cross (VNRC), ARC’s local implementing partner in Vietnam. The position will be responsible for ensuring that technical, administrative, and financial procedures comply with ARC and donor’s requirements, while providing program management as well as technical support to ensure that projects are implemented on time, scope and budget. The position will ensure effective coordination and planning in alignment with the overall programmatic strategies of ARC’s International Response and Program (IRP) unit and the AMEE Region.
• The Resilience Delegate will be based in Hanoi, Vietnam with significant travel (40%) to project sites combined with international travel as required. The Resilience Delegate will report directly to the Country Representative and will supervise and mentor three senior local program officers. He/she will also be expected to work in close collaboration with ARC’s Vietnam based, regional and headquarters technical staff to ensure quality programming.
• This is a full time, accompanied position for a minimum of 366 days with the possibility of extension, or to be handed over to a national staff member at the end of mission.
• Oversee and ensure integration of entire program portfolio under a resilience framework inclusive of urban and rural disaster risk reduction, climate change adaptation, health, HIV, water and sanitation, livelihoods, cash transfer and gender equality sectors and themes.
• Responsible for Vietnam program portfolio management: ensuring timely implementation of program activities, budget oversight, programmatic and financial compliance, monitoring and evaluation, reporting, grant close-out, and regular site visits for efficient programming and greatest impact.
• Build VNRC capacity in program management and develop corresponding key project documents, training materials, methodologies and tools to ensure VNRC’s organizational development.
• Work closely with the regional Quality & Learning Unit and assume lead responsibility at national level to ensure proper adherence to delegation standards in M&E including: development, maintenance and use of M&E tools and databases; coordination of program reviews and evaluations (internal and consultant-led) and supporting program innovation combined with documentation, dissemination and integration of shared learning and best practices nationally and regionally.
• Review and analyze financial reports to ensure proper management and utilization of budgets.
• Prepare donor and other project reports as well as internal and external communications (articles, stories, fact sheets...)
• Develop, track and regularly update detailed program work plans.
• Champion GIS, mobile technology, beneficiary accountability and other initiatives.
• Assure the program portfolio works in synergy with other projects funded by other Red Cross and international partners in Vietnam and the region.
• Assist in coordination of and provide input in development of project proposals, with a focus on incorporating lessons learned, best practices, and ISD strategic directions as applicable to Vietnam.
• Advise Country Representative in strategy development in relation to program portfolio, coordinating closely with internal and external stakeholders.
• Represent the delegation at internal and external meetings and events as required.
• Serve as acting Country Representative when the Country Representative is out of country.
• Bachelor’s degree required. MA degree in international development or related field preferred.
• Minimum five years’ experience staff development and supervision and management of international programs in Asia and internationally. Vietnam experience strongly preferred.
• Demonstrated competency in project planning and design, proposal development, project management, program integration and M&E.
• Working knowledge in at least two of the following sectors: community resilience and development, urban programming, disaster risk reduction, climate change adaptation, HIV and health programming.
• Demonstrated financial oversight and budget management skills.
• Experience managing USAID, USAID/ODFA projects and in USAID rules and regulations.
• Representation, leadership, team building, negotiation and relationship-building experience with donors, partners and government authorities.
• Results orientated, self-starter, flexible, adaptable to change with ability to maximize results through collaboration within and beyond the organization.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as effective interpersonal and intercultural skills.
• Strong IT skills in Microsoft Office as well as project productivity and M&E software.
• Familiarity with the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement and knowledge of American Red Cross policies, procedures, and practices at the field and headquarters level preferred.
• Fluency in English required. Proficiency/fluency in Vietnamese preferred.
• Both national and international candidates are encouraged to apply.
• As an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer, well-qualified women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.