Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
• Assist in monitoring and overseeing the financial management of all activities in the Mission, including financial expenditures. Undertake financial analysis of projects in the Mission.
• Assist in preparing donor financial reports in accordance with IOM regulations and established procedures.
• Assist in forecasting cash flows according to activities in the Mission and ensure daily control of funds disbursed; verify that funding is received in accordance with donor agreements.
• Assist in preparing the annual budget for the Mission, monitor budget control and analyze variances between budget and actual expenditures.
• Assist in the preparation of budgets for new programmes or projects.
• Inspect payroll versus budgets, ensuring that salaries are correctly allocated to projects consistent with IOM's projectization criteria.
• Make suggestions for procedural improvements and assist in training local staff in the relevant areas of administration and finance.
• Support the CoM in implementing the human resources function, including recruitment, personnel administration and other related activities in accordance with the Organization’s policies and procedures.
• Supervise the procurement and logistic services, including contracts with suppliers of goods and services and related administration authorities; oversee the management of the fleet of
vehicles and maintenance of buildings as well as the functioning of all support services at the Mission.
• Liaise with relevant IOM security units and implement directives and instructions.
• Liaise with other internal functional units of the Mission as required in the performance of the accounting function.
• Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
• Master’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Public Administration, Business Administration, Commerce or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant
professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Professional certification as Chartered Accountant or Certified Public Accountant is an advantage.
• Experience in financial management, accounting and budgeting;
• Good knowledge of human resources management;
• Experience in managing diverse procurement and logistics operations;
• Experience with internal control assessment, internal audit and or external audit;
• Demonstrated experience in training and managing large teams of co-workers, vendors and suppliers;
• Excellent level of computer literacy;
• Experience with international institutions; knowledge of IPSAS and SAP is highly desirable;
• Knowledge of IOM/UN regulations, policies and procedures;
• Knowledge of IOM/UN accounting systems, software and procedures is a distinct advantage.
• Fluency in English is required.
• Working knowledge of any local languages is an advantage.