REVIEW OF THE ENVIRONMENTAL AUDIT ASSESSMENTS, AND REVIEW REGULATIONS, CONSULTANCY
United Nations Development Programme(UNDP), Mbabane, Swaziland
Closing Date for Applications:
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Director of Environmental Assessment & Compliance and the Head - EIA Swaziland Environmental Authority, the consultant will:
- Review of International, Regional and National Strategic Environment and Auditing Assessment Instruments, Guidelines and Regulations, in particular as informed by the Environment Management Act of 2002;
- Explore modalities of possible improvements taking on board progressive areas and consideration trends to improve the Environmental Audit, Assessment and Review Regulations of 2000 and in ensuring strategic integration of socio-economic issues;
- Conduct consultations with national stakeholders, in particular the Swaziland Environment Authority (SEA), the government line ministries, development proponents/private sector, financial institutions, practitioners of the impact assessments and where possible vulnerable interested and affected groups to inform the process;
- Make recommendations to the Environmental Audit, Assessment and Review Regulations (2000), adopting International and Regional standards with specific national situational considerations;
- Review the standing Regulations for 2000 and produce the Environmental Audit, Assessment and Review Regulations, 2015 and other pertinent instruments, where necessary.
The review of the Environmental Audit, Assessment and Review Regulations for 2000 consultancy will have the following outputs:
- An inception report (maximum 10 pages) highlighting the methodology to be used in undertaking the assignment and a proposed timeline of activities in line with the contractual deliverables within two (2) weeks of the start of the assignment;
- A draft report of the consultations identifying key issues highlighted during the meetings discussions;
- A draft report addressing the TOR and capturing sentiments expressed by practitioners, interested & affected parties and the public for approval by SEA for presenting to a consultative workshop and soliciting further inputs;
- A final report with proposed recommended Environmental Audit, Assessment and Review Regulations to guide the future process in Swaziland: Revised Environmental Audit, Assessment and Review Regulations, 2015 for approval by SEA.
- Highly recognized graduate degree (Masters or PhD) in Natural/Environmental Science or Environmental Economics with a Post Graduate Training in Environmental Law coupled with demonstrated experience in undertaking the development of Environmental Assessment laws and regulations.
- Ten (10) years demonstrable experience in formulating laws, regulations and guidelines to effectively manage to development process;
- Of which three (3) years demonstrable experience in working in environmental audit, assessment and mainstreaming cross cutting and social issues, namely gender, HIV and disaster;
- Excellent project administration and management skills;
- Good understanding of the international Environment Impact Assessment (EIA) and Environmental Safeguards for Sustainable Development and its modalities and guidelines;
- Broad general background in participatory methods and their relevance to EIA;
- Good understanding of the EIA governing structures at various levels, in particular with reference to Swaziland.
Language: Fluent in English.