PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The position provides oversight for Risk, Compliance and Partnership Management in WV Afghanistan (WVA) thereby contributing to the achievement of the organization’s objectives. The Response Risk and Compliance Advisor promotes a culture of integrated and effective risk and compliance management within Afghanistan program and works cross-functionally and collaboratively to achieve the functions objectives. The Advisor will be expected to understand and evaluate WVI’s unique organizational environment, and apply a deep understanding of technical compliance principles to develop an effective compliance function that will deliver an effective compliance program in Afghanistan.
Within Afghanistan program, the position will facilitate application of risk appetite and tolerance, coordinate risk assessments, identify operational and strategic risks, provide leadership in compliance reporting and incident management and facilitate prioritization of risks and identification of risk owners. By applying an analytical approach, the position holder ensures appropriate strategic risk analysis and identification to WVI operations and programs within Afghanistan program. The position will also provide advice, coordination and surge capacity in investigations in fragile environment.
The Advisor shall also utilize the Compliance Action Plan, Integrate Incident Management System, Riskonnect and other systems and tools, but more critically shall develop several new tools, policies and procedures, in order to assist in the management of WVA adherence to internal and donor policies.
The position holder will lead on the strategic planning and development of risk mitigation and capacity-building initiatives for WVA.
Enterprise Risk Management:
- Champion the risk management process for WVA as a value-added discipline and process, while keeping it as simple as possible to ensure business continuity and operational resilience.
- Monitor and coordinate all risk management activities of WVA, including identification, measuring, monitoring and mitigation (Risk Assessment process).
- Maintain and evaluate the risk register using the risk management software Riskonnect and provide input into setting risk limits aligned with WVA strategy.
- Evaluate the design and effectiveness of the risk mitigation efforts and provide feedback to WVA SLT.
- Work collaboratively with Internal Audit to ensure that risks are identified for audit planning purposes.
- Build partnerships with all departments, Zonal offices across WVA to understand the risks to their functions and report on it via periodic analysis.
- Coordinate Business Continuity Planning activities for WVA.
Strategic Risk Analysis:
- Lead development and implementation of WVA risk management strategies. Ensure risk management processes and procedures are in alignment with the WVI Enterprise Risk Management Framework and WV’s Risk Appetite Statement.
- Monitor and analyze risks within WVA environment and report them to the ND and the Risk and Compliance Advisor, MEER.
Incident and Investigation Management:
- Collaborate with Management of WVA on the implementation and management of the Integrated Incident process and reporting system.
- Coordinate the WV specific Integrated Incident Management (IIM) approach within WVA to ensure that incidents are being reported, managed and followed-up on.
- Ensure that incidents are analyzed and relevant “Lessons Learned”, and After-Action Reviews, applied.
- Coordinate the overall Incident Management process in response to crisis situations within WVA.
- Coordinate investigations within WVA in response to incidents, allegations and complaints.
- Provide support to senior managers overseeing investigations including guidance on best practice.
- Liaise with WV global partnership stakeholders on specific cases ensuring they are kept informed of case progression as necessary.
- Input to investigation templates and deliver investigative training and surge capacity where necessary.
- Support the Organizational Compliance process in coordination with National Director for adherence to corporate responsibilities.
- Ensure WVA’s standard operating procedures (SOPs) are well defined in compliance with internal organizational policies and procedures, applicable to external context and compatible with WV’s donors.
- Coordinate the implementation of policies, procedures and standards to ensure that staff within WVA well understand these.
- Ensure that relevant compliance violations are documented, reported to internal and external stakeholders and investigated according to respective policies and procedures.
- Lead the process for adherence to legal, risk and grant compliance functions across WVA.
- Serve as al knowledge leader for addressing compliance risks while educating and informing Senior Leadership Team, and the Regional and Global technical departments and leaders about trends in risk mitigation and compliance for INGOs.
- Provide senior leadership and representation on all risk, compliance and partnership issues ensuring that WVA Senior Management is well coordinated and in congruence with policies and guidance from Regional and Global personnel, all
- Support Offices, WVUS Legal and WVI Legal counsel.
Strategic Design and Leadership on Partnerships:
- Utilize a compliance focused lens to design and strengthen the partnership process flow including through the creation of the partner dashboard, process flow protocol, Block Party Screening Protocol, BIS Process Guidelines, Partner
- Selection Process, Rapid Partner Selection Process, Organizational Capacity Assessment, Organizational Capacity Development Plan, and the associated partnership capacity building initiatives including support for improved and compliant incident reporting and management and anti-fraud and corruption training.
- Lead the team to understand field level partnership compliance deficiencies and design appropriate mechanisms and controls to address these issues with a specific focus on partnering for success and improved capacity building planning.
- Ensure that partners meet all sub-grant stipulations and policies including Block Party Screening regulations, BIS Licensing requirements, Gate to Grant compliance stipulations, the design and development of duty of care policies, design and development of specific anti-corruption policy, and PSEA requirements and other incident reporting mandates.
- Review and standardize the procedure for Sub-Grant Agreement and MoU approval and signatory requirements as outlined in World Vision’s MEER Approval Limits Matrix and ensure rigorous review of all requirements including BPS and Compliance approval before agreements are signed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Relevant Master’s degree in Security Management, Risk Management, Strategic Studies, International Relations or Emergency Management. (General Management studies also considered).
- Professional training on investigations / crisis management.
- Sound knowledge of INGO risk management practices.
- Understanding of setting threat or risk levels for specific contexts, considering the strategic and tactical situation as applied to humanitarian operations.
- Understanding of program delivery in humanitarian relief operations.
- Experience as investigator/crisis manager.
- Proven experience in Risk Assessments, investigations and incident/crises management in the humanitarian context.
- Previous experience in the professional risk management arena (UN/INGO, Corporate, Military, Law Enforcement, or Emergency Services).
- Internationally recognized qualifications/certification in Risk Management or Business Continuity.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Advanced management qualification in Enterprise Risk Management (ERM), Investigations, Business Continuity or Crisis Management.
- 5+ years of proven cumulated experience in the professional arena for operational risk management role (UN/INGO, Corporate, Military, Law Enforcement, or Emergency Services).
- 5+ years in a relevant permanent risk management role in UN/NGO, Private or Government Sectors. International risk management experience in a Regional and/or Global role in large multinational organization.