Risk and Compliance Specialist
Danish Refugee Council, Uganda
Closing Date for Applications:
The Risk and Compliance Specialist will assist the finance and grant management team in ensuring all DRC Uganda operations are implemented within acceptable DRC and donor guidelines. Be the focal point for DRC Uganda on compliance matters.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design, Implement and maintain testing systems to ensure that all field offices are following DRC procurement, administrative policies and accepted accounting principles.
- Carry out quarterly internal financial reviews to ensure that DRC and donor guidelines are implemented and followed. This includes but not limited to finance, procurement and administration and involves monthly financial and non-financial transactions/documents reviews and providing feedback to line managers for action.
- While using the Compliance Self Checks (CSC), assist DRC Uganda field and country offices in developing recommendations and action points to improve on gaps identified;
- Carry out internal compliance assessments to ensure that DRC and donor guidelines are implemented and upheld and that the findings are captured in the risk register/issues log.
- Establish processes for the Finance and Grants team in consultation with Country Head of Support Services to ensure proper workflow, filing, and archiving of key documents is in place.
- Coordinate and schedule necessary training of finance and non-finance staff to ensure that DRC and donor requirements are understood.
- Quality assurance and provide input on day to day Project Cycle management process flows, As a member of the Risk Management Task force, input into CO risk registers and IL to ensure comprehensive reporting and escalation on risk and compliance.
- Work closely with Country Head of Support to provide effective support in Counter Fraud measures to address Fraud Risk
- Conduct partner capacity assessments and flag high-risk concerns to management and ensure mechanism is in place to monitor for sub-contracted partners.
- Induct partner organizations in DRC rules and relevant donor requirements and monitor their performance for compliance.
- Conduct partner reviews and ensure a system is in place for follow up action.
- Conduct due diligence of partners and suppliers against main donor databases.
- Maintain the audit recommendation tracking sheet and ensure timely reminders and follow with managements for implementation of the recommended actions;
- Regularly review and suggest improvements to internal control environment on existing processes as well as new proposed internal processes. Provide instruction on compliance issues at kick-off meetings throughout the country.
- Support Management during start up or field office closures to flag and identify risk potential risk and areas of exposure to management.
- Receive and review institutional and high-risk donor financial reports from budget holders prior to submission to donors.
- Lead on external audits in the country and coordinate pre-audit document completion as per organizational audit policy.
- Take Lead and coordinate donor capacity and system assessments.
- Support the Country SMT by conducting of investigations where necessary
- Any other task as given by the Country Grants Manager and Country Director.
Experience and technical competencies:
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines;
- Proven experience working with the major donors, UN, ECHO, EU, BPRM, UNHCR & DANIDA among other donors;
- Audit background;
- Excellent computer skills. Proficiency in excel is a key requirement;
- Excellent communication skills, calm and a good sense of humor;
- Proven commitment to accountable practices;
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Post graduate degree in Business Administration, Finance or Accounting
- Degree in Accounting and at least 3years relevant experience with an international NGO in grant accounting.
Languages: Fluency in English.