Summary of Assigned Duties:
This is a generic description of duties developed for a roster of consultants and experts. The final terms of reference for the assignment will be based on the specific requirements of the required work/assignment.
Under the general supervision and guidance of the Director, Noncommunicable Diseases and Environmental Health, and technical direction of Regional Advisor, NCD Governance, Policy, and Surveillance (RA-NTS), the consultant will be expected to carry out time bound assignments in one or more of the following areas:
A. Support field implementation of national household surveys for NCD risk factors
- Collaborate with national and international agencies to facilitate implementation of periodic population-based surveys in the Member States including integrated NCD risk factor surveys (WHO STEPs Surveys), Global school health surveys;
- Provide operational, IT, training (capacity building) and logistic support for implementation of various NCD and tobacco surveillance related population surveys (e.g. STEPs, and GSHS surveys) as and when requested by Member States. Most of the surveys in the Region are conducted using electronic android tablets. Incumbent will provide IT support for programming of survey questionnaires for electronic devices using appropriate software, setup of these devices as per the survey requirement, troubleshooting when the survey teams are in the field to ensure quality of the collected data.
B. Develop and maintain data repositories at the regional and national level
- Maintain and regularly update microdata repository through regular documentation of the data collected through various population-based surveys and uploading them in the repository.
- Develop/maintain various web-based data dashboards and statistical databases to facilitate easy access to data in a usable form under various surveillance initiatives.
- Facilitate extraction and provision of NCD data to other departments/units in SEARO/HQ and the WHO country offices as and when requested under the overall guidance of the concern Regional Advisor.
- Provide technical support for NCD surveillance activities related to budget, coordination of training workshops, and survey implementation and prepare, review, and monitor collaborative agreements, contracts on surveillance and research.
C. Help in analysis of data form large-scale population-based surveys conducted as part of NCD surveillance
- Technical assistance in analysis of data collected as part of national household or school-based survey (STEPS survey or GSHS surveys)
- Development of national or regional analytical products.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing Results
- Building and promoting partnerships across the Organization and beyond
Functional Skills and Knowledge:
- Ability to analyse data from large household and school-based surveys using appropriate statistical software
- High level competency in supporting field implementation of household and school-based surveys using electronic data collection devices (e.g. tablets, etc.)
- Ability to establish good working relations and contribute to a multidisciplinary team
Essential: For all assignments: Degree in public health / biostatistics/ demography/ epidemiology/ Social /population sciences, from a recognized university.
Desirable: Additional degree/certificate/diploma in information and technology or health informatics, advance training in cloud-based data collection and data visualization software and statistical software.
Experience: At least one (1) to seven (7) years of progressive professional work experience in surveillance, monitoring and evaluation, data management/ data systems. Technical skills and ability to conceptualize and plan NCD surveillance and monitoring systems; skills in data analysis to support policies and programmes for prevention and control of noncommunicable diseases; and conduct relevant operational research.