About DRC Sudan: The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs has been operational in Sudan since 2004. The programme focuses predominantly on the conflict-affected population living outside of camps in the rural areas. DRC Sudan has its capital office in Khartoum and operations largely in Central Darfur.
Overall purpose of the role: The aim of the position is to ensure that Danish Refugee Council’s Safety Risk Management System (SRMS) is successfully implemented in Sudan (incl. effective MOSS, regularly updated Safety Risk Assessments for all SLS locations) and capacity of national safety staffers increases through contextualized mentorship. A critical part of this role will be capacity building of existing teams in Darfur and Khartoum, the main operational areas of DRC Sudan. The Safety Specialist will report to the DRC Sudan Country Director, with technical support from the Regional Safety Coordinator North Africa.
- Works independently to deliver the organisation’s policies and programme within a defined technical to contributes to quality assurance.
- Executes highly complex or specialized projects within area of expertise; adapts precedent and may make significant departures from traditional approaches to develop solutions.
- In international operations, these roles often localize and adapt existing policies to local circumstances and contribute to the development of country strategies for a specific DRC sector or support function
Mentor national safety colleagues in DRC Sudan, and enable them to implement DRC’s safety risk management system
- Undertake and support others to undertake Minimum Operating Safety Standards (MOSS), Safety Risk Assessments (SRA) for all current and future SLS (Safety Level System) locations and facilitate the implementation Local Safety Rules (LSR), Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)
- Inform SMT of areas of non-compliance, and support management and teams to improve quality and compliance.
- Manage the SLS assessments in cooperation with the Regional Safety Coordinator North Africa
- Ensure a technical reporting line to the Regional Safety Coordinator
- Tutor national Safety Specialist on the subject of reporting by fostering the use of the SIR data base and advance analysis products, in particular access-focused assessments
- Drive scenario developments for DRC Sudan, and place emphasize on humanitarian implications
- Evaluate access prospects for new operations and facilitate programme access/continuity through the provision of informed advice
- Support the senior management team in Khartoum in all safety-related issues, particularly in cases of emergency, and act as a standing member of the incident management team. Assist with the implementation of the CIMP (critical incident management plan) by office/location and act as surge capacity in case regional emergencies demand so
- Based on an assessment of training needs develop, support, facilitate and/or deliver safety trainings to all staff members and partake in training initiatives
- Analyze, advise, and report relevant information to the Country Director for the areas of concern
- Represent DRC within inter-agency for a as related to safety issues
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- 3 years in safety and security roles in volatile contexts and conflict affected environments
- Strong technical skills and ability to provide conflict/context analysis
- Experience in online system tools
- Proven experience with delivering safety-related trainings to both national and international staff members
Ideally, you will also have:
- Stable and robust character with excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Excellent communication skills and fluent in written and spoken English
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment
- Experience working within a safety and security remit within Sudan is an advantage
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
- Safety course certificate
- First Aid certificate
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Arabic (fluent)
- English (proficient)