Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
Aquaculture is the fastest-growing food-production sector in the world, now providing almost half of the global fish supply. Increases in demand for fish indicate that aquaculture will need to continue to expand, particularly in Asia and Africa. To meet this growing demand, WorldFish uses its technical and scientific expertise in fisheries and aquaculture to promote evidence-based development solutions and increase aquaculture productivity, while minimizing impacts on the environment by developing technologies, improving resource management, securing access to essential inputs and improving connections to markets. Development of sustainable fish feeds represents a key component in our future program.
Reporting to the Sustainable Aquaculture Program Leader, the Scientist will conduct high quality research on fish nutrition and feeds, with emphasis on novel sustainable ingredients, interactions between fish feeding, nutrition and genetics, and delivering feed solutions that can accelerate sustainable growth of aquaculture in Africa and Asia.
• Design and conduct high quality fish nutrition and feeds research, with a focus on novel sustainable feed ingredients and nutrition-genetic interactions.
• Develop productive partnerships to further our sustainable feeds research, including key international and national research institutes.
• Build productive relations with investors and development partners from public and private sectors for scaling out of our feeds research results.
• Mentor young aquaculture feeds researchers in key program countries.
• Assist in mobilizing resources in support of new research activities
• Prepare quality papers and communication products from feeds research activities
Candidates are sought with
• PhD in aquaculture, livestock or related fields of fish or animal feeds and nutrition
• At least 3 years post doctoral experience in a field related to fish or animal feeds and nutrition
• Excellent proficiency of spoken and written English
• Strong record of publications in a related field
• Motivation for high quality science and delivery of impact from research
• Strong professional network in the field of aquaculture feeds and fish nutrition research
• Knowledge and experience of working in developing countries in Africa and/or Asia
• Resource mobilization record
• Interdisciplinary research collaboration with human nutrition, value chains and gender research fields
• Private sector experience
Timeframe and location
This position will be based at WorldFish’s HQ in Penang, Malaysia or another WorldFish program country, with significant travel to various countries in Africa and Asia. Interviews are expected to be held in Penang, Malaysia in during May 2016 and short-listed candidates should be available to attend.
The successful candidate should be available to commence by 1st October 2016 for an initial 3 years contract, with possibility of extension depending on performance of and funding situation. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
WorldFish is committed to promoting a work environment where diversity of thought, style, culture and experience is valued. We support individual performance and potential in achieving our organizational goals and mission. Qualified women and professionals from developing countries are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Interested applicants are invited to submit the following information:
• A cover letter including a 2-page (max) description of why you are an ideal candidate and what you would bring to the role;
• A current curriculum vitae;
• Names and contacts (telephone, fax, and e-mail addresses) of three professional referees who are familiar with your qualifications and work experience. Your nominated referees ideally should have persons from each of the following category: direct supervisor, internal peer and/or direct report.
Screening will start immediately, and will continue until the position is filled. Only selected candidates will be contacted.
Click here to apply for this job.