In September 2015, the United Nations General Assembly adopted the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. This global “plan of action for people, planet and prosperity” is anchored on 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the agenda’s results framework that captures universal aspirations across three dimensions of sustainable development: economic development, social development and environmental protection. The 2030 Agenda is an integrated, indivisible agenda, which balances the economic, social and environmental dimensions of sustainability, the success of which will depend on the extent to which coherent, evidence-based plans and policies are formulated and implemented at country, regional and global levels. Today, India is the epicenter of global progress on the SDGs – the country is a leading force for climate action, home to the world’s biggest and most ambitious developmental programmes and social legislations – Housing for All, universal health coverage, digital and financial inclusion, and the empowerment of women, and it is one of the fastest growing major economies.
In India, NITI Aayog has been entrusted with the role to co-ordinate the work related to the SDGs. The task at hand for NITI Aayog is not merely to periodically collect data on SDGs but to act proactively fructify the goals and targets not only quantitatively but also maintaining high standards of quality. The crucial initiatives spearheaded by NITI Aayog in SDGs include the SDG India Index which ranks all States/ UTs based on their performance in their journey towards meeting the Global Goals, localizations of SDGs in the States/ UTs, handholding the States/ UTs in setting up SDG monitoring and reporting systems, engaging private sector, leveraging science, technology, and innovation, and designing innovative SDG financing strategies.
The position of the SDG Officer will be to support the SDG team at NITI Aayog in its functions, promoting the mainstreaming and implementation of the Agenda 2030 in India with particular focus on SDG localization in the States/ UTs, including formulation on State and District Indicator Frameworks, and development of SDG monitoring dashboards. The SDG Officer will report directly to Adviser, SDGs at NITI Aayog and on a day to day basis with monthly reporting to Chief Advisor, UNDP.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide technical support to NITI Aayog in Localization & Integration of SDGs in India
- Coordinate with State /UTs on progress of the SDG localization process
- Handhold the States/ UTs in developing SDG monitoring frameworks and dashboards at the State/ UT and District levels.
- Technical Support in preparation of Voluntary National Report and other important reporting’s
- Design and lead surveys, primary data analysis, and deriving insights
- SDG data-driven governance pilot projects in select districts on SDG localization
- Report drafting based on qualitative and quantitative analysis and stakeholder consultations
- Organising training workshops and capacity building programmes in select States/ UTs
- Build partnerships with various stakeholders
- Document emerging good practices
- Draft policy briefs, speeches, presentations, and other documents
- Any other tasks assigned by supervisor in NITI Aayog and UNDP
Functional / Technical Competencies:
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
- Knowledge about development administration systems in States/UTs
- First hand exposure to central or state government’s work on SDGs.
- Good communication, interpersonal and presentation skills, with an ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Building Strategic Partnerships
- Establish, build and sustain effective relationships, partnerships and alliances, advocate effectively and communicate sensitively
- Strong networks across diverse sectors at leadership levels.
Results based monitoring
- Result-orientation and ability to develop strategic approaches
- Identifies problems and propose solutions
- Demonstrates extremely strong influencing and facilitation skills.
- Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Shares knowledge across the organization and builds a culture of knowledge sharing and learning.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Demonstrates/safeguards ethics and integrity
- Works as a team member
- Facilitates and encourages open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Demonstrates corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Ability to work independently and under pressure
- Schedules activities to ensure optimum use of time and resources; monitors performance against development and other objectives and corrects deviations from the course.
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Required Skills and Experience
- A minimum of bachelor’s degree in economics, development, political science, public policy, or other related fields.
- Master’s degree is desirable.
Experience: Minimum two years’ experience in development related activities, governance, project /programme management, research, surveys and data collection, report drafting, and capacity development, preferably at the State/ UT level.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience in working with a State/ UT level on various public policy domains at the planning level
- Experience in coordinating with multiple government departments
- Experience in questionnaire and survey design and leading surveys
- Experience in drafting reports, particularly SDG progress and analysis reports
- Experience in developing SDG monitoring framework and dashboards
- Experience in multi-stakeholder management and building partnerships
- Proficient in data analysis and statistical software
Language Requirements: Excellent verbal and written Hindi and English skills and demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in a multi-cultural environment.