UNAIDS, Suva, Fiji
Closing Date for Applications:
Mandate of the department
- Provide leadership and coordinate support for an expanded UN system response to support countries towards ending the AIDS epidemic as part of the Sustainable Development Goals.
- To promote, support and provide guidance to national partners and the UN system in reaching Global AIDS targets by 2020 with a Fast-Track approach to rapidly scale up HIV services focused on populations and in locations most affected by the epidemic.
- Promote effective use of strategic information and documentation of trends on the epidemic and the response as well as provide intellectual leadership on the status of the response to HIV in the country.
Main tasks and Responsibilities of the Position
- Under the supervision of the responsible officer, working closely with others, the incumbent provides secretarial and administrative support, and is assigned part of or all the following duties and responsibilities
- To receive, screen and distribute incoming correspondence, attaching background information or related file as necessary and forwarding to the staff concerned, drawing their attention to specific issues/problems as necessary, including but not limited to drafting replies to general and administrative correspondence on the basis of instructions or on own initiative, and finalizing such; typing, editing for language and grammar, correcting and formatting, in accordance with UNAIDS and departmental styles, technical reports and documents, tabular materials and assisting in the preparation of presentations; as well as receiving and screening visitors and telephone calls, making appointments, answering queries and/or redirecting visitors and callers and/or obtaining background information on the purpose of appointments with tact and discretion.
- Using on-line systems, to prepare travel authorizations, check timetables and costs with in-house travel agent, making flight and hotel reservations, processing security clearance authorizations as appropriate; and dealing with related matters as requested or on own initiative.
- In collaboration with the Team Assistant and/or the Assistant to the responsible officer, to monitor deadlines, reminding staff members of such and ensuring that correspondence and queries are responded to in a timely manner; obtaining documents and information from various sources as required; and performing information-resource- searches (library, internet) as requested.
- In close collaboration with colleagues, to maintain the work area filing system, files for professional staff and obtaining relevant information as required.
- To participate in the organization of meetings, workshops, seminars, etc., e.g. typing list of participants, travel authorizations, letters of invitation, documents, photocopying and preparing briefing files, presentations and slides; and preparing the necessary documents for security to ensure that identification badges are ready in a timely manner, reserving meeting rooms, dealing with hotel reservations, and providing secretarial support and assistance to participants during meetings.
- To perform other related duties as assigned, including provision of support to other areas of work and teams as required.
- Asia and PacificDrivingLibraryPeople living with HIVPhotocopyingProfessional StaffSustainable DevelopmentSustainable Development GoalsTypingUN WomenVocational.
- Completion of secondary school or relevant technical or vocational training.
- UNAIDS Values
- Commitment to the AIDS response
- Respect for diversity
- Core competencies
- Working in teams
- Communicating with impact
- Applying expertise
- Delivering results
- Driving change and innovation
- Being accountable
- Experience in secretarial positions, of which preferably two years in the UN system.
- Experience in the UN System and in the use of system such as ERP.
- A good working knowledge of English together with that of the local language (where the local language is not an official language).
- Knowledge of another UN official language