Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
Key Expected Results
- Prepare, maintain and update the UNICEF security plan and other contingency plans to become an Annex in the UN Security Plan for Pakistan as endorsed by the Security Management Team (SMT).
- Assist all offices for this purpose.
- This plan will include, inter alia, UNICEF-specific aspects of evacuation and relocation, building evacuation and fire plan, hostage incident management plan, medical evacuation plan, and UNICEF-specific wardens system and communication trees. Supervise the application of this plan during emergencies and crises.
- In close collaboration with UNDSS, in consultation with the country security team, and in reference to the UN Security Risk Assessment (SRA), prepares a comprehensive UNICEF-specific SRA to include all locations in the country where UNICEF staff and dependents are present.
- Serve as a member and as the Secretary of the UNICEF security team.
- Prepare travel and security advisories. Maintaining updated staff lists, including details of visiting missions and consultants; manage the UNICEF-specific warden systems for both international and national staff. Act as crisis coordinator during a security crisis affecting the organization.
- Assist the Chief of Operations/ Representative in implementing Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS) and ensuring all offices are MOSS compliant and Minimum Operating Residential Security Standards (MORRS) is respected for international staff residence.
- Ensure the establishment and maintenance of a functioning Emergency Communications System (ECS) for UNICEF; assist in the installation, maintenance and utilization of the UNICEF communication systems; ensure efficient VHF and HR radio communication mechanism is in place to and from UNDSS Common Radio Rooms and conduct routine radio checks for UNICEF staff; ensure radio communication training is provided to drivers, wardens, other staff members as required.
- Regularly update the Representative, the Regional Office and Headquarters Security on Security issues and incidents (SIRs); establishing and maintaining contacts with:
- UNDSS in particular the Chief Security Advisor and share information related to security of UN staff and operations;
- National security agencies to obtain the best information and protection for UNICEF staff, and operations;
- Security officials of diplomatic missions and international organizations to share information pertaining to staff safety and security.
- UNICEF security focal points in the field.
- Direct security management of the Peshawar office in the absence of a International posted in this location. In collaboration with Peshawar CFO and DSS Peshawar KPK/FATA. This is a temporary requirement until funding is made available for employment of an International Security Advisor and an opportunity to do capacity building with National SO
- Conduct training related to security issues for UNICEF staff within Pakistan as and when required, as well as contract security guards when necessary.
- Ensure office security by establishing SOPs for vehicular and pedestrian access control, including, inter alia, searching of vehicles, visitors and packages, establishing a secure ID badge system, writing and disseminating post orders for guards, establishing office crisis response plan in close collaboration with UNDSS and Host Government security forces.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- University degree (or equivalent in military or police staff college) with focus on security management and/or related disciplines (risk management, business administration; political/social science; psychology; international relations).
- Recognized training in Security Management.
*A first university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of advanced university degree.
- Eight years of progressively responsible experience with security management, ideally within the UN security management system.
- Previous experience in a recognized police or military, alternatively in companies providing security-related services.
- Experience in high risk environments required.
- Fluency in English required.
- Knowledge of another UN language an asset.