Background Information - UNOPS:
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us:
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization:
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types.
Background Information – Philippines:
UNOPS Philippines was established in early 2016 to support, develop and oversee UNOPS' growing portfolio of programmes and projects in the Philippines. The office currently provides implementation services to a range of projects where we work very closely with development partners, the Government and the Supreme Court focusing on the Governance/Justice, health and infrastructure sector.
The office is based in Manila, Philippines with project sides in the Tacloban and Iloilo area.
UNOPS Philippines is in the process of expanding its area of engagement in cooperation with its development partners and is looking for qualified and committed experts.
Background Information – Job Specific:
The Government of the Republic of the Philippines with the support of the European Union is implementing the Justice Sector Reform Programme: Governance in Justice (GOJUST). GOJUST is funded by the European Union to the value of EUR 16,000,000 and with the support of the Spanish Agency for International Development Cooperation (EUR 2,000,000). The overall objective of GOJUST is: To contribute to inclusive growth and poverty reduction through a strengthened justice system and its specific objective is: To increase the efficiency, effectiveness and accountability of the formal justice system. The programme is being implemented from April 2016 to December 2019.
GOJUST seeks to achieve four major result areas, as follows:
- Sector-wide coordination of the justice system strengthened and long-term reform strategy developed;
- Backlog curtailed in courts and prosecution services and case management system streamlined and computerised (with focus on 'justice zones');
- Justice sector agencies’ administrative and financial management systems improved;
- National/Regional Human Rights Institutions and CSO’s capacity to promote accountability and fight impunity for major human rights violations strengthened.
The support provided under this program will have a far reaching effect on the entire justice system, and will impact on three main agencies of government, namely the Judiciary, led by the Supreme Court at the apex, the Department of Justice, which includes the prosecution service, the correctional system, the public attorneys, the National Bureau of Investigation, and the Department of Interior and Local Government, which includes the police, the local detention facilities and the barangay justice system.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the GoJust Project Manager, the incumbent will supervise a small team performing administrative and finance support services, as well as transactions in administration and logistics, ensuring efficient, client oriented and effective service delivery. The Administration Senior Associate promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach, ensuring utilization of office resources in a most cost-effective manner.
Functions/Key Results Expected:
- Admin and Finance
- Team Management
- Information and Knowledge Management
- Implements the control mechanism for administrative services, including maintenance of administrative control records such as commitments and expenditures.
- Executes designated transactional/certification roles in UNOPS system.
- Manages commitments and expenditures.
- Ensure that processing of Purchase Orders (POs); performance of reconciliation activities on purchase orders such as close and cancel POs and similar.
- Ensure that processing of travel authorizations, travel expenses claims, and flights or other transportation booking are achieved in conformity with UNOPS procedures.
- Ensure that processing of invoices and supporting documentation is properly registered, processed and Payments are processed properly.
- Ensure that accurate preparation of bank reconciliations is done as per procedure.
- Any other task, within the support services, as indicated by the PM.
Admin and Finance:
- Ensures effective and efficient provision of logistics and asset management support services and in compliance with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Manages, co-ordinates and supervises processes and services in shipments and customs clearance, travel, events management, supply and assets management services, inventory control, issuance of inventory items and supplies, administrative surveys, transportation services and insurance, building/facilities/space management, office supplies.
- Authoritatively interprets organizational procedures and precedents to provide guidance for complex or unusual cases and situations.
- Oversees implementation of logistics system in accordance with UNOPS logistical procedures.
- Manages liaison and coordination with local authorities on authorizations/privileges and immunities for UNOPS personnel, office space and other administrative matters.
- Implementation of the control mechanism for d projects through monitoring budgets preparation and modifications, budgetary status, maintenance of the General Ledger.
- Presentation of thoroughly researched information for planning of financial resources of the office, reports containing analysis of the financial situation.
- Proper receipting of goods and services and establishment of accruals.
- Supervise the implementation in case some of the tasks mentioned in this TOR performed by other team members within the admin and finance support team and, in case other resources will not be available, implement such tasks directly.
- If needed, support HR focal point in preparing and processing documentation.
- Provides oversight, ensuring compliance by team members with existing policies and best practices.
- Facilitates the engagement and provision of high quality results and services of the team supervised through effective work planning, performance management, coaching, and promotion of learning and development.
Information and Knowledge Management:
- Synthesizes and disseminates best practices, standards, tools, and information to internal collaborators and networks.
- Participates, organizes and delivers trainings for the operations/ projects staff in administration/logistics/finance with the support, when appropriate, of the Head of Support Services Office.
- Completion of secondary school/high school is required.
- First University Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, or equivalent disciplines is desirable but not required.
- In the absence of a degree, administrative certification is an asset.
- Minimum of seven years of relevant experience in general administrative, logistics, or operations, finance support services in national or international public or corporate organizations. University degree (bachelor, Master) may substitute some years of the required experience.
- Some experience in UNOPS or UN systems is highly desirable.
- Proficiency in computers and office software packages (MS Office) and experience in handling of web-based management systems is essential.
- Experience in use of Enterprise systems including OneUNOPS is highly desirable.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
- Knowledge of a second UN or regional working language is an asset.