2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
- Expected to be Istanbul, Turkey, with frequent travels to the region (2-3 visits on a monthly
- basis) and to other international destinations as required.
- The place of service could change during the contract period and should be accepted by the
- candidate. However, this is subject to further decisions by the Danish MFA.
- Any successful candidate is expected to participate in a briefing with the existing adviser one
Special conditions of the function:
- The adviser will be working in a highly demanding and volatile environment, which will require
- flexibility and stamina as well as a willingness to adapt quickly to surrounding circumstances.
- Any successful candidate must complete or have completed relevant training for working in
- hostile environments, i.e. HEAT and CAC course. Furthermore, it is a condition for the
- assignment that the applicant is recommended for the position by the psychologist appointed
- by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Area of responsibility/tasks:
- The responsibilities of the short-term adviser will include, but not be limited to:
- Supporting the implementation of activities in Syria under the Regional Stabilisation
- Programme and to ensure frequent reporting to the Danish MFA in close cooperation with
- other members of the programme implementation unit.
- Formulation, monitoring, review and ongoing adjustments of the programme engagements in Syria.
- Ongoing monitoring of progress and results of activities in Syria, including management of
- the narrative progress reporting and of financial reporting from programme partners.
- Assisting in coordinating the Danish funded engagements with the activities and policies of
- civil society organisations and other donors, including assisting when Danish MFA
- representatives participate in various donor coordination fora in the region.
- The abovementioned is to be solved in close cooperation with the Middle East and North
- Africa Department in the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MENA).
- Assist in production of informational material for external audience, e.g. for annual reports and/or for social media.
- Finally, due to the political character of the programme, monitor and report on political developments in and around Syria relevant to the programme implementation.
Requirements and expectations concerning the candidates’ formal qualifications:
- An advanced university degree.
- Solid experience from working with fragile states and/or stabilisation.
- Experience from working with governmental, non-governmental and UN organisations.
- Solid experience with programme management and implementation of similar stabilisation programmes and activities.
- Solid political judgement and knowledge of political developments in Syria.
- Fluency in Danish and English.
- Knowledge of Danida aid management guidelines and Peace and Stability Fund guidelines will be considered an advantage.
- Previous work experience with UN organisations will be considered an advantage.
- Previous work experience in MENA countries will be considered an advantage.