Senior Advisor – Green Response and Sanitation in Emergencies (SanE)
Swedish Red Cross, Stockholm, Sweden
Closing Date for Applications:
As Senior Advisor in the in the international department of the Swedish Red Cross, with emphasis on Green Response (GR) and Sanitation in Emergencies (SanE), you will work towards developing, deepening the knowledge and support the application of the generated knowledge into the preparedness to respond and response operations. You will be responsible for leading specific innovation projects aimed at reducing the adverse impact on the environment brought on by the response operation and further promote greater sustainability and resource management in line with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Your specific task includes developing and applying innovative and secure approaches to improved sanitation measures that within improved waste management ensures a more responsible and sustainable approach to improved health. To achieve this, you will work in close partnership with other Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement partners, civil society members, in partnerships with research institutions and actors from the private sector. You will contribute to strengthening the response capacity and quality of Swedish Red Cross’ Emergency Response Unit (ERU) – both with developing and analysing equipment as well as provide training for delegates. You are a member of the Disaster and Policy Unit, and you will work closely with all advisors, and particularly the WASH advisor. You are part of the International Department, and report to the Head of Disaster and Policy unit.
- Contribute to and take part in the development of the Red Cross and Red Crescent movement’s operative work, method development, policies and guidelines within the topic, shape positioning of the Movement on relevant topics and contribute to the Movement being at the forefront within the thematic field.
- Pursue the development in the relevant field and be a resource person within Swedish Red Cross
- Build alliances with relevant external partners, NGOs, academic institutions etc. in line with facilitating for the evolution of the thematic field.
- Act as spokesperson within the topic and represent Swedish Red Cross in various international platforms as well as contribute to resource mobilisation, information and advocacy in Sweden
- Closely follow the operations to ensure that the quality of the deliverables is (delegates, material and finance) within Swedish Red Cross is most appropriate in view of the needs of receivers.
- Make sure that Swedish Red Cross develops competence within your field and actively pursues competence development within the department and partners.
- Develop and ensure quality within the field in line with a resilience building approach.
- Manage components of Swedish Red Cross operations within the thematic area.
- Participate in recruitment, briefing/debriefing, development of competence among the delegates and lead delegates in the thematic field
- Actively contribute to develop Swedish Red Cross operations within the international strategy
- In cooperation with the regional managers and desk officers, be responsible for ensuring that quality and relevance in project and programmes is secured as well as ensure that reporting is undertaken in line with expectations.
- The work includes frequent travels to disaster and conflict settings.
How to Apply
- Relevant academic education or having acquired equivalent knowledge and expertise otherwise
- Established network and experience on advocacy with other institutions and stakeholders active in the operational area.
- Demonstrated ability to express yourself with ease in writing and speech in English. Swedish is an asset.
- At least 5 years of experience of work within the thematic field at headquarters and/or field, including field experience.
- Proven experience in facilitating trainings, evaluations, and experience in representing the organisation in seminars, panels and media.
- Relevant security training or experience of working and travelling in insecure contexts (conflict or complex emergencies)
- Experience of humanitarian work within the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
- Red Cross/Red Crescent engagement as a volunteer
- Additional language skills, such as: French, Arabic or Spanish.
- Experience from representing your employer in the media.
- You are strategic and analytical in your work, and willing to take own initiative to solving problems and create results.
- You have good pedagogical skills, and communicate with ease, and perform well in a collaborative environment where dialogue is a prerequisite.
- You of course subscribe to the Red Cross and Red Crescent values. The Red Cross values diversity and actively takes a stance against all forms of discriminations.