OBJECTIVE OF THE OFFICE/DEPARTMENT
This requisition is for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
Information Technology Services (ITS) provides leadership and direction in the deployment of information and communication technologies and systems to support the Pan American Health Organization, Regional Office of the Americas of the World Health Organization (PAHO/WHO) in carrying out its mandate. Furthermore, ITS establishes and maintains strategies, policies, standards and procedures to ensure the effective and efficient provision of information and communication services in a geographically dispersed environment.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the general supervision of the Director, Administration (AM), and the direct supervision of the Director, Information Technology Services (ITS), the incumbent is responsible for, but not necessarily limited, to the following duties:
- Provide technical, strategic and managerial advice to ensure that the information management systems of the Organization operate at optimal levels; collaborate in the implementation of the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Strategy and other strategic Organizational change projects as they relate to Management Information Systems;
- Manage the PASB Management Information System (PMIS) Support Team to ensure that new enhancements and updates are planned and coordinated with functional areas; that business owners’ requests are responded to in a timely manner and that adequate resources are available for this support; ensure that Tier 2 and 3 support is provided as applicable to the end users and functional areas, and that the Governance model is followed; collaborate with and support the Director, Information Technology Services in the preparation of the PMIS Advisory Committee meetings;
- Manage the Enterprise Portal Development and Support team; ensure that Business Owners and end user requirements are met, and that this platform meets the current and future collaborative platform needs of the Organization;
- Manage the Data Management and Business Intelligence Team; ensure that corporate database application levels are up-to-date, that remaining legacy applications are migrated to a modern technology platform, preferably Workday, and lead the effort to move all applications to cloud services;
- Coordinate with the ITS Director to support IT Governance and manage the portfolio of IT projects within the entity;
- Perform project management activities related to the development and maintenance of large and complex information systems, including evaluating feasibility studies and alternatives, estimating and scheduling resources and ensuring that appropriate methodologies are followed;
- Oversee the IT operations in the area of applications management, including service delivery and continuity; ensure effective application of IT best practices; advise and determine courses of action in cases of systems issue escalation;
- Prepare and evaluate requests for proposals for various information system projects; collaborate in preparing the resulting contracts and manage them;
- Analyze different technological alternatives and advocate appropriate use of technology and industry practices to solve complex information challenges of the Organization;
- Set and manage internal client expectations; communicate effectively with internal clients and external partners to identify needs and evaluate alternative business solutions; provide recommendations for areas of improvement in business and operational processes and propose possible solutions;
- Support the Organization’s efforts to align its systems with WHO’s information systems, as applicable;
- Prepare reports for the Organization’s Governing Bodies and the Pan American Sanitary Bureau Executive Management;
- Direct and participate in the development of policies and their implementation and provide authoritative advice in relation to policy and procedures under the areas of responsibility;
- Support the preparation and execution of ITS’s Biennial Workplan (BWP); develop, define and establish the objectives, strategy, plan and budget of supervised teams; be accountable for the products and services of his/her project;
- Formulate and recommend policies and strategies to improve the functions of the supervised teams; administer, allocate and monitor the Teams’ financial, logistical and staff resources; prepare, and justify program and budget proposals;
- Provide leadership, guidance and monitoring of supervised staff by setting clear work objectives, ensuring timely and effective use of performance reviews and feedback mechanisms, engaging in regular communications, and solving interpersonal or technical conflicts; establish and support a learning environment, to include staff development in the Organization’s fundamentals, managerial competencies and technical expertise;
- Promote a culture of ethical behavior and integrity in accordance with the Organization’s Code of Ethical Principles and Conduct in order to ensure a culture of respect, responsibility, accountability, and compliance;
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Essential: A bachelor’s and master’s degree in information systems management, computer science, systems engineering, business administration, management or a related field, from a recognized university.
In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO, only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
Essential: Thirteen years of progressively responsible combined national and international experience in information technology and the management of multiple teams across a portfolio of work. The experience should include the implementation, management, maintenance and operations of end user support of complex information systems.
Overall attitude at work: Maintains integrity and takes a clear ethical approach and stance; demonstrates commitment to the Organization’s mandate and promotes the values of the Organization in daily work and behavior; is accountable for work carried out in line with own role and responsibilities; is respectful towards, and trusted by, colleagues and counterparts.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences: Relates well to diversity in others and capitalizes on such diversity. Treats all people with dignity and respect. Relates well to people with different cultures, gender, orientations, backgrounds and/or positions; examines own behavior to avoid stereotypical responses; considers issues from the perspective of others and values their diversity.
- Teamwork: Advocates for collaboration across the Organization. Creates and encourages a climate of team- working and collaboration across the Organization; sees cooperation as a key Organizational priority and creates collaborative systems and processes to achieve Organizational goals. Actively identifies and tackles disagreements between internal and external counterparts that compromise the Organization’s goals and mandate; diplomatically facilitates the resolution of conflicts between others and ensures strategic partnerships with a range of key stakeholders; maintains and extends an effective collaborative network of individuals inside and outside the Organization.
- Communication: Articulates the Organization’s strategic objectives when formulating and delivering information and presentations and adapts presentation methodology to address the needs of different audiences. Establishes a safe environment for others to express their views and takes those views into consideration in decision making as needed. Is aware of cultural differences and uses culturally appropriate non-verbal communication. Supervises (or oversees) and coordinates the development of guidelines, policies and strategies; ensures the Organization’s strategic objectives are well reflected through written communication and provides quality control for written documents. Shares decisions and directives of senior management and communicates them in a manner that ensures both understanding and acceptance; shares knowledge and best practice at the three Organizational levels (country, regional and global), as necessary.
- Creating an empowering and motivating environment: Oversees and provides teams and departments with clear managerial directions which are translated from Organizational strategy. Builds a performance culture in the Organization; contributes to setting Organizational performance goals and standards; monitors Organizational performance against milestones and strategic goals; identifies and nurtures talent as appropriate. Promotes autonomy and empowerment throughout the Organization; inspires enthusiasm and a positive attitude in people towards their work and contribution to the Organization’s success.
- Promoting innovation and Organizational learning: Ensures that knowledge and learning are shared across the Organization, transmitting a sense of responsibility and empowerment down the Organization; builds a culture that encourages learning and development by coaching and mentoring others. Drives and advocates for change as needed, continually promoting new ways to position the Organization for success; is recognized as a key resource within the Organization for generation of alternative perspectives on the Organization’s mission and work.
- Ensuring effective use of resources: Sets specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely objectives for own team and/or the Organization; systematically analyses and anticipates priority projects for own team and allocates necessary resources to achieve them; identifies the cross-Organizational resources needed for large- scale projects in line with key Organizational objectives. Anticipates foreseeable changes and adapts own and team’s projects in the face of unforeseen circumstances and/ or challenges; creates measures and criteria to monitor progress of overall projects against key Organizational objectives; creates cost-effective solutions for the Organization
- Managerial: Extensive knowledge and experience in program management and development of long-range Information Technology plans including defining budgetary needs, determining alternative strategies, performing cost/benefit studies, and addressing implementation and integration strategies related to information technology systems.
- Administrative: Skills or experience in resource mobilization and familiarity with financial management, and the creation and integration of administrative platforms for the delivery of the highest quality Finance, Budget, Human Resources, General Administrative and Infrastructure services. Courtesy, tact, sensitivity to manage confidential information, and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people of different professional levels, discipline, nationalities, and cultural background.
- Technical: Demonstrated knowledge and ability to oversee and lead engineering solutions for the modern, reliable, and secure operation of end-to-end enterprise services. Demonstrated experience in developing and leading customer-focused IT initiatives to re-engineer practices to better serve customers and improve processes, while ensuring product quality and conformance with customer specifications.
Languages: Very good knowledge of English or Spanish with working knowledge of the other language. Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese would be an asset.
IT Skills: Demonstrated ability to effectively use varied and complex methodologies related to project management; systems analysis and application development; and technologies supporting collaborative work and modern cloud technologies.