Senior Advisor / Head of Office
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Brussels, Belgium
Closing Date for Applications:
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Intelligence and communication: Provide strategic guidance and information to management on emerging policy initiatives, current issues and institutional developments within the EU.
- Strategic guidance: In close collaboration with HQ-based colleagues, help design and implement a strategic direction for the Bank’s relations with the EU, establish the Bank’s position on EU policy initiatives and agendas and represent its interest in areas of relevance and significance to the Bank.
- New initiatives: Cooperate with HQ teams to explore new ways for the Bank to deepen, widen and strengthen its engagement with the EU to: Design and deliver on common policy and strategic agendas, Access new sources of funds, and explore new roles related to the management of funds, both centrally managed and in countries of operation , Explore new ways of intensifying our operational collaboration, at sector and country level, Initiate and facilitate a strengthened policy dialogue and co-financing agenda
- Representation: Represent the Bank in all relevant EU fora through the establishment of a network of contacts throughout the institutions and with other stakeholders.
- Communication: Raise the profile of the Bank through targeted events, high level visits, campaigns, and other visibility actions, both through active representation at key EU events and the organisation of Bank-led initiatives to market its work and raise awareness among stakeholders.
- Organisation: Organise senior management visits to Brussels and other EU-related events and ensure high quality preparation, briefings and follow up.
- Resource: Act as a resource on EU policies and institutions for colleagues across the Bank, and facilitate effective coordination of EU-related activities within the EBRD. Support and advice EBRD teams in their operational dealings with the EU.
- Manager: Manage the Brussels office and lead and coach a team of three, including its budget.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- A post-graduate degree in a relevant field from a leading university.
- Extensive professional work experience in the area of international development, finance or public policy. Strong understanding of the international development discourse and of economics and finance.
- Excellent understanding of the EU and its constituent institutions and instruments, and of EU external relations & internal policies of relevance to the Bank’s mandate and countries of operation.
- Strong working familiarity with the EU institutions and with EU policy-making processes, preferably gained from substantive work experience in the EU institutions in an area of relevance to the EBRD.
- Strong political judgement and partnership skills, with the ability to cultivate and maintain strong high-level networks of relations with key stakeholders both inside the bank and with key partner institutions.
- Excellent influencing and persuading skills working with senior level internal and external stakeholders, and experience in lobbying in the international development finance arena. A strong communicator.
- Excellent analytical skills, with a view to providing strategic guidance in the Bank’s relations with key partners
- Results-oriented with ability to engage proactively in new and untested areas. Excellent organisational skills, and ability to juggle a large number of tasks, from substantive to logistical.
- Good working level of French would be an advantage.