Women Deliver is a leading global advocate that champions gender equality and the health and rights of girls and women. Our advocacy drives investment – political and financial – in the lives of girls and women worldwide. We harness evidence and unite diverse voices to spark commitment to gender equality. And we get results. Anchored in sexual and reproductive health, we advocate for the rights of girls and women across every aspect of their lives. We know that investing in girls and women will deliver progress for all.
Powered by Women Deliver, Deliver for Good is a global Campaign that applies a gender lens to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and promotes 12 critical investments in girls and women to power progress for all. The evidence-based advocacy Campaign calls for better policies, programming, and investments in girls and women. The Campaign was launched at the global level in 2016, with national Campaign pilots in Kenya and Senegal launched thereafter. In both countries, the national Campaign and coalition is convened by a leading organization.
Summary of the Position:
The Senior Associate of Policy and Advocacy plays a role in helping to shape and implement the Deliver for Good Campaign’s policy and advocacy strategic undertakings by acting as focal point for strategic support to the Deliver for Good country Campaign activities for Senegal, led by national coalition conveners. The Senior Associate reports to the Deliver for Good Manager and works closely with other members of the Deliver for Good country advocacy team as well as the broader Deliver for Good team. The Senior Associate also works with the Women Deliver Policy and Advocacy department, and other departments.
- Works with the Deliver for Good Manager and team members to support and inform Deliver for Good’s global and in-country efforts related to the SDGs, with particular focus on Senegal and francophone West Africa;
- Act as focal point for Deliver for Good Senegal Campaign and in support of its national coalition’s conveners and country partners:
- Provide subgrant management oversight. This includes oversight and review of the Deliver for Good Senegal Campaign’s work plan, budget, and related reporting and deliverables (quarterly narrative and financial reporting; monitoring, evaluation, and learning). Works to support the timely completion of deliverables related to the work plan, proactively flagging when deliverables are off track; provides solutions & works with manager to adjust as needed;
- Provide strategic advocacy support to coalition: conduct in-depth landscape analyses, keeps apprised of evidence and case studies, monitors global and national platforms to strengthen expertise, media monitoring, all aligned with the investment areas of the Deliver for Good global and Senegal Campaigns. Deliver for Good Senegal investment areas include health, energy, and education;
- Support with technical assistance and capacity sharing initiatives as necessary. These are in coordination with the national conveners and the global Deliver for Good Campaign and Policy & Advocacy, Communications, External Relations, Legal, Finance, and Program Quality & Learning (PQL) departments;
- Provide support to advocacy moments and events, as needed in partnership with convener, including for thematic advocacy strategies, work group meetings, related consultations; key global advocacy calendar dates (e.g., Commission on the Status of Women; the High-Level Political Forum; UN General Assembly; etc) in Senegal and francophone West Africa; Women Deliver conference;
- Maintain and build relationships with key stakeholders in Senegal. Work in partnership with Manager and convener on donor relationships and relevant global stakeholder relationships;
- Coordinate with Deliver for Good communications focal points for support to Senegal Campaign.
- Contribute to the overall Deliver for Good Campaign:
- Including strategy development and implementation, including the integration of country and global workstreams, and analytical and iterative approach to country pilot design;
- Including the updates of the technical policy materials on the 12 investment areas;
- Supports technical engagement with Deliver for Good global Campaign initiatives, as appropriate, including participating in internal and external Working Groups calls and activities and helping to prepare and review materials and events.
- Contribute to the development of and revision to donor reports, grant proposals, and other documents as necessary;
- Contribute to monitoring, evaluation, and learning efforts including indicator development, monitoring exercises, regular reporting, for the Senegal Campaign, and for the global Campaign, working with the Women Deliver PQL;
- Fosters and supports relationships and partnerships with stakeholders from civil society, private and public organizations, and national/international decision-makers and government officials, as relevant to Campaign needs and priorities;
- Contribute to General Policy & Advocacy efforts: Contributes to advocacy outreach efforts and develop meeting notes, evidence-based policy briefs, presentations, advocacy statements, toolkits, talking points, engagement with technical working groups, responses to relevant advocacy moments with messages and materials. Contribute technical guidance, monitoring, and quality assurance on advocacy and policy work as a whole;
- Carries out other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills, Education, and Knowledge:
- BA/BS required in a related field such as public health, international relations, gender studies, political science, or human rights;
- 4 -6 years of work experience, working with diverse cultures on global health or international development Campaigns, programs, or initiatives;
- Experience with programs and projects in francophone West Africa required;
- Expertise in and passion for advocacy and/or communications Campaigns, gender equality, international sexual and reproductive health and rights issues, with an emphasis on girls and women – a background in energy, education, health, climate change and/or the Sustainable Development Goals is an added plus;
- Strong organization skills for grant and project management skills, including budget and work plan development, review and oversight (via narrative and financial reports), and consultant management, with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and work independently;
- Experience with monitoring, evaluation, and learning for advocacy preferred;
- Solid research experience evaluating quantitative and qualitative research with the ability to discern high-quality data sources;
- Fluent proficiency in French and English is required (written and oral, intermediate level);
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Ability to handle sensitive situations with diplomacy to ensure productive partnerships;
- Ability to translate technical reports and research into materials for non-technical audiences in both French and English;
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel, and adept in creating professional PowerPoint presentations;
- Ability to travel within the US internationally;
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship.