About the role
A very exciting opportunity has arisen to manage our institutional fundraising pipeline in Europe donors as our Senior Business Development Manager - Europe.
We are looking for a dynamic and international fundraising specialist with a detailed eye for process and ability to work across teams to manage our business development pipeline from European donors and support the organization in raising upwards 18,000,000 GBP annually through overseeing the submission of over 30+ proposal submissions per year on behalf of the organization. The Senior Business Development Manager plays a key role in delivering Internews’ new 5-year strategic plan, which envisions continued growth in the European market.
The Senior Business Development Manager is part of the global Internews’ Business Development team, reporting to the Vice President – Global Development, and working closely with regional and thematic teams worldwide to identify new funding opportunities from institutional donors such as the European Commission. The Senior Business Development Manager will directly supervise a Development Officer based in London and be responsible for managing the full proposal development and submission process for all funding opportunities originating in Europe.
This includes supporting the Senior Management Team of Internews Europe to identify funding opportunities from a diverse base of European donors, including the European Commission, DFID, SIDA, Norway and others. The Senior Business Development Manager continually works with programme staff around the world to jointly identify new fundraising opportunities, manage proposal development processes and to originate new strategic programme concepts for future fundraising.
Roles and Responsibilities Business Development (100%)
- Overall responsibility for managing the programme fundraising pipeline in Europe. This includes:
- Identification of new opportunities (working in close consultation with program management teams, and the Senior Director of Outreach for IEU)
- Host “go-no go” and kick off meetings for proposals and concept notes
- Manage proposal development process for IEU, working closely with regional program teams, Monitoring and Evaluation, thematic technical experts to develop and submit high quality project technical proposals and concept notes; and liaising with Grants, Contracts & Compliance and other teams to ensure accurate budget development
- Work with the Internews Europe Senior Management Team to develop new business opportunities with bilateral and multilateral European donors. This may include the development of communication materials, concept notes, proposals, and representation of Internews in person, as required.
- Review and analyse key donor solicitations and help determine potential strategy for application, in consultation with Internews program staff.
- Position Internews as a possible sub-grantee in proposal applications; member of relevant consortia. Develop standing MoUs as appropriate with key partners. Working in close consultation with Program and Technical leads, serve as the primary point of contact for European primes, working in close collaboration with designated proposal managers. Establish warm relationships with key primes whenever possible.
- Supervise the management of proposal writing consultants; support, as required, for programme staff with delegated responsibility to write and/or manage proposals as required.
- Ensure consistent and smooth handover of new grants to contracting and programme teams.
- Through supervision of his/or her team, maintain an up to date Salesforce database of information on Internews’ opportunities with European donors, as well as interactions with promising targeted donors to prepare technical and programmatic leads who are due to meet with funders.
- As required, participate in field studies and business development assessments to assist in the design of new programming as appropriate and in close collaboration with program support departments.
- Directly supervise European business development unit staff, including supporting them in timely monitoring of calls for proposals from all European bilateral and multilateral donors.
- Serve as the main representative for Internews on centrally funded and/or global mechanisms that Internews participates in. Develop relationships to advance Internews’ inclusion on other promising centrally-funded and/or global mechanisms with European public sector donors as required and in line with regional and/or technical strategic plans.
- At least 7+ years’ experience in international development, media, and/or non-profit fields, with at least 5 years business development experience
- Demonstrable track record in managing business development processes to secure multi-year, multi-million, public sector funds from development donors in Europe
- Detailed working knowledge of overseas development assistance funders in Europe, especially the European Commission
- Outstanding, persuasive writing skills and demonstrable ability to manage complex proposal review processes, with proven ability to set priorities and manage time effectively and analytical and problem-solving ability
- Experience managing diverse and talented teams
- Excellent organisational, interpersonal and communication skills, including diplomacy, tact, and the ability to negotiate, as well as the ability to remain calm under pressure
- Excellent networking and stakeholder development skills
- Proficient written and spoken French language skills are desired, however exceptional candidates without this attribute will still be considered
- Computer literate with advanced abilities in Microsoft Teams, Word, Adobe, PowerPoint and Excel required.
- Applicants must have the EXISTING legal right to work and reside in the UK or European Union states
- The proven ability, or overwhelming desire, to work in a multicultural environment requiring coordination across multiple time zones
- Attention to detail, with a focus on complying with donor solicitation requirements
- A keen interest in international affairs and development; especially media, journalism, press freedom
- An established international network with Internews’ targeted European donors and/or key priority partners
- Prior experience with Salesforce
- External communications experience