Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
Duties and Accountabilities:
The Senior Communications Officer will be a core member of the World Bank Group Office in Singapore and will function under the overall supervision of the Director of the Singapore Office and report to EAP Communications Manager based in Washington, D.C. His/her specific duties and accountabilities include the following:
• Leads in strategic communications and program development, and design and implement diverse and highly complex communication campaigns to support the WBG’s work in Singapore, targeting internal and external audiences.
• Conceptualizes, supervises and contributes to the preparation, production and dissemination of communication products (e.g., media packets, news releases, brochures, Q&As, presentations, briefing notes, online and social media content, speeches, etc.) about the WBG, its policies and operations, and its work in Singapore. Writes and/or oversees preparation of high-profile speeches, talking points, op-eds, business reports and presentations.
• Contributes to the formulation of the Bank's public position on critical issues; represents the Bank on a broad range of complex and sensitive issues; manages relationships with key stakeholder groups including civil society organizations, think tanks and research institutes, chambers of commerce and private sector groups, government representatives, development partners, etc.
• Develops and maintains relationships with local and regional media, liaison with domestic and regional print and broadcast media; monitors and analyses domestic media with a view to risk management, protecting the WBG’s reputation and seeking opportunities through media outreach to improve public awareness of WBG activities, strengthen the overall effectiveness and image of WBG.
• Regularly tracks and analyzes current events, public opinion and other internal or external developments related to the WBG and its work, using information from traditional and non-traditional sources from both inside and outside the WBG to help assess news value and other potential impact on the WBG and to help determine appropriate responses as needed. Leveraging Singapore’s role as a center of finance and of business and financial reporting, pays particular attention to the movement of capital markets, financial and economic trends and events.
• Advises teams (i.e., Director, Unit Manager, project/program leaders, and other relevant WBG staff) on trends, news developments, or changing/unexpected circumstances that may impact the WBG and its work, and determines appropriate strategic responses. Provides communication guidance to WBG operational teams and government implementing agencies. These include: review and comment on key documents, capacity building to undertake communication interventions, consultations, and stakeholder engagement activities through lending and non-lending activities (i.e., projects, programs, analytical work, etc.).
• Oversees the management of web sites, social media and other online communications platforms and outreach channels.
• Oversees planning, coordination, and logistics, often across multiple teams, for press briefings, major conferences and seminars, executive missions and speeches, public or broadcast appearances, and other communications-related activities involving external and/or internal audiences.
• Masters or equivalent degree in a relevant discipline (communication, journalism, economics, finance, business administration, development studies, or international relations,). At least eight years relevant professional experience in outreach and communications work, with specialized knowledge on working with media, civil society and social media.
• Experience in communicating complex financial and economic concepts in a clear, compelling and concise manner and constructing messages on these issues that are accessible to a range of audiences. Experience working in a major news organization—particularly one with a focus on financial reporting--would be an asset.
• Communication Strategy, Planning, and Execution - Thorough knowledge of and practical experience in a full range of communications approaches essential to the planning, development, and execution of communication strategies for complex programs or projects.