Senior Communications & Outreach Advisor
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, Paris, France
Closing Date for Applications:
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
- The Section for Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 4 Leadership facilitates and supports the organization’s mandated role in leading the Education 2030 Agenda. In so doing, the SDG 4 Leadership Section works with diverse constituencies, international partners and networks to reinforce global cooperation to support the implementation of collective commitments to ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and lifelong learning for all. A renewed Global Education Cooperation Mechanism (GCM) was endorsed at the 2021 Global Education Meeting and aims to bring countries and international partners together around shared priorities in more agile, efficient and aligned ways to accelerate progress towards SDG 4.
- The new GCM puts forward a remodeled SDG4-Education 2030 High-Level Steering Committee (HLSC) which will serve as the global education body, consisting of a “Leadership Group” at Ministerial or Head of Agency level and a “Sherpa Group". A dedicated Inter-agency Secretariat hosted by UNESCO will support the functions, activities and meetings of the HLSC and other GCM Forums / Platforms.
- Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education (ADG/ED), guidance from the Director of the Division for Education 2030, and direct supervision of the Chief of Section of SDG 4 Leadership, the incumbent will lead the development of the communications, outreach and advocacy strategy, and lead on the outreach of all GCM all public information products related to global education cooperation to Member States, partners and the media within the newly established Inter-Agency Secretariat.
The Senior Communications & Outreach Advisor will be expected to perform the following duties:
- Lead the drafting of the GCM Communications / Outreach / Advocacy Strategy to enhance the visibility of the work of the HLSC and sustain knowledge management. This overall strategy should include a web and digital as well as a public relations (PR) strategy.
- Coordinate and oversee the development of web design for the management of the GCM webpage/platforms and its implementation.
- Lead the conception, work plans and supervision of the production and dissemination of a range of communications and advocacy materials and tools in accessible non-technical language, such as: summaries of reports; press releases and op-eds; policy briefs; blog posts; social media posts; photographs and audiovisual materials; infographics and speeches – including related to the three Functional Areas of the GCM.
- Coordinate the overall media outreach of GCM materials, launches and events, connecting with media spokespersons, cultivating long-term media partnerships and identifying PR opportunities. Support in drafting Q&A, speeches, and other press material as required.
- Liaise internally with the Department of Public Information and across Divisions to ensure coherence on communications, as well as externally with key HLSC stakeholders/partners.
- Coordinate diverse work carried out by the HLSC and Inter-agency Secretariat related to public facing materials in liaison with other organizations of the United Nations System, donors, NGOs and agencies as appropriate; provide programmatic and substantive reviews of materials for presentation to internal and external bodies. Ensure that the outputs produced maintain high-quality standards; that materials are clear and accurate.
- Manage the drafting of talking points, presentations and background briefs for GCM-related launches and events.
- Directly manage interns and consultants as required.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in communications / journalism, development studies or another social science discipline.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible relevant experience in public information, journalism, international relations, public administration or related area, of which preferably, at least three (3) years acquired at the international level.
- Extensive experience in developing, implementing and evaluating communication strategies, reputation and brand management, media relations, outreach and campaigns and in assuming the role of spokesperson.
Skills and competencies:
- Excellent written and spoken communications skills for different audiences.
- Experience in writing speeches, key messages and issue briefs.
- Experience in developing and strengthening media partnerships and relations with global and regional media platforms.
- Ability to grasp complex issues quickly, and to advise on high profile and sensitive communication challenges.
- Demonstrated ability to work innovatively with minimal supervision and in a self-motivated manner.
- Ability to manage a high volume of work, keep deadlines and produce quality work under pressure.
- Experience in working with diverse teams and ability to maintain effective working relations within a multicultural team.
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English.