Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
The purpose of the consultancy is to provide technical support to
League of Arab States (LAS) in development of a Regional Strategy on
Public Health in asylum context for the Arab region.
The incumbent of this consultancy is responsible for providing
technical support and drafting the Regional Strategy for Public Health
in refugee context for the Member States of the LAS. The Strategy aims
to support the efforts of Member States to ensure that refugees are able
to fulfil their rights in accessing primary health care, and essential
life-saving secondary and tertiary health services, to reduce mortality
and morbidity. This may include adoption, revision and implementation of
laws and policies in line with international instruments, as well as,
mainstreaming health in national systems and strengthening the
available, accessible, free or affordable and survivor-centred
multi-sectoral services for refugees.
The Senior Consultant will work in close collaboration with LAS and
its Member States to develop the Regional Strategy, as well as, the
recommendations to the Member States on how to strength their health
response systems for refugees.
Regional Strategy on Public Health in Asylum Context
The regional strategy for Public Health in the Arab States will
outline the key strategic priorities to be undertaken by LAS Member
States to ensure access to Public health. This will include adoption and
enforcement of key laws and policies, ensure that Public health
services are mainstreamed in national systems. The strategy will build
upon existing laws, policies and services in the region and detail key
recommendations to strengthen response systems to better protect
refugees in line with relevant international laws and standards.
Timeline of key deliverables
05th of January 2017
· Prepare the desk review, detailed work-plan with timeframe for the
consultancy outlining the activities/steps to be undertaken during the
· Outline of regional strategy;
28th February 2017
· Delivery of the draft version of the regional strategy
15th March 2017
· Delivery of the final Regional Strategy on Public Health and the Regional Plan of Action
31st March 2017
· Delivery of final Regional Strategy and the Regional Plan of Action to LAS and UNHCR
Qualification and Experiences
· Advanced university degree in Public health or Social Science / Law degree with strong specialization in public health
· Training on public Health, international refugee law, or a related field would be an asset.
· Minimum of ten (10) years of relevant experience in the field of
Public health, refugee protection, gender and SGBV prevention and
· Knowledge of the Arab region.
· Diplomacy and ability to manage relations with stakeholders;
· Excellent research, analytical, judgment, writing, strategy development and organizational skills;
· Ability to respect the dignity, human rights and confidentiality;
· Good IT, information management, communication and coordination skills;
· Excellent spoken and written English and Arabic, as the final product will be delivered in Arabic;
· Flexibility and strong interpersonal communication skills;
· Ability to prioritise the work and deliver under pressure;
· Results orientation and constructive thinking.
Desirable competencies and knowledge
· Good understanding of the League of Arab States and its institutional framework; "
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit their letter of motivation and
Personal History Form (P11), including testimonials/degrees/certificates
including testimonials/degrees/certificates to Ms. Aline Mikhael: email@example.com copying Mr Kaidar AYOUB: firstname.lastname@example.org and Ms. Marian Schilperoord: email@example.com
indicating “Senior Consultant on Public Health – Middle East and North
Africa Region” in the subject of the email. P11 forms are available on www.unhcr.org/recruit/p11new.doc. The deadline for applications is 30th October, 2016.