About the organization:
The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) is a global research centre working to reduce poverty by ensuring that policy is informed by scientific evidence. Anchored by a network of 171 affiliated professors at universities around the world, J-PAL conducts randomized impact evaluations to answer critical questions in the fight against poverty. J-PAL South Asia, based at the Institute for Financial Management and Research in India, leads J-PAL’s work in the South Asia region. J-PAL South Asia conducts randomized evaluations, builds partnerships for evidence-informed policymaking, and helps partners scale up effective programs. Over more than ten years of existence, J-PAL South Asia has conducted 182 ongoing and completed randomized evaluations.
J-PAL South Asia has partnered with the Indian Government's Department of Personnel and Training and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation through its new initiative, Creating Learning For Public Officials (CLOP).
At CLOP, we work to create ecosystems for sustained learning geared towards capacity building of Indian Civil Servants. Using strategic thinking and collaboration, the project drives innovation and research in mechanisms for lifelong learning.
Working with a variety of stakeholders, communication is a key aspect of the CLOP project. Our objective is to convert complex research and evidence into targeted communication using elements of design that are simple, salient and actionable. To create these designs it is imperative to engage in dialogue with stakeholders to understand their perceptions, perspectives, values, attitudes and practices as inputs to the design and implementation process of our communication objectives.
To actualise this vision for CLOP we are hiring a Design Lead to develop the vision, oversight, and guidance on all creative tasks including website development, graphic design, social imagery, and video production. The Design Lead needs to thrive in a fast-paced and highly-collaborative environment and lead the design team. This position requires equal strength in creative skills, technologies, and team management.
- Produce fresh, innovative work that translates complex ideas and narratives into compelling offline and online experiences for our stakeholders
- Conduct brainstorming sessions with the larger CLOP team using tools of Human Centered Design, maintaining strategic and creative thinking to develop innovative and actionable creative initiatives
- Ability to work independently on projects and managing team responsibilities
- Collaborate with a diverse, cross-functional team for the strategic development of messages and deliverables
- Maintain and manage consistency of quality across the communications team
- Build brand guidelines, which include the basics of tonality and communication style, brand personality and philosophy.
- Lead the development of high-quality information design, and static and interactive visualizations
- Design visual imagery for publications, annual reports, presentations and other print and electronic materials
- Coordinate with outsourced designers, freelancers, or agencies whenever required and make sure they follow brand guidelines
- Support J-PAL SA research, policy, and training teams on any other communications tasks, as needed
Required Skills, Educational Qualification and Experience:
- Education: A professional degree in fine arts/graphic arts and/or mass communication/media.
- Experience: This is a senior-level position requiring 6-8years of relevant work experience in various fields of communication design such as UI UX, packaging, digital media ,print media, motion graphics, etc.
- Skills:. A deep knowledge of Adobe Master suite, which include Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premier Pro, After Effects, etc
- Communication: You are proactive, detail-oriented and have excellent writing, copyediting skills. You have the ability to understand stakeholder requirements and translate it into multimedia content. You are precise, clear, and creative with excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Organization: You are a strategic thinker. You can handle multiple projects at once, meet deadlines, and effectively manage your time. You bring consistently high levels of thoroughness and initiative to all projects you undertake
- Attitude: You love learning. You are passionate about the role of rigorous research in informing international development policy. You are self-motivated, hard-working, and enjoy working in team